VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - love the car but have an annoying rattle coming from the driver's side when going over small bumps in the road. Not sure, but seems to be coming from the steering wheel/ column?
I tried putting pieces of paper between all the seams while driving, also spraying lube into the emblem in the center of the steering wheel - seems to be coming from there!? I'm trying to avoid taking everything apart - but I'm being pushed to that point..
Anybody else having this problem? .. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
9,394 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

Nope sorry mine is quite as a mouse, not that I've heard many mouses/meeces? ;)

·
Registered
298 Posts
While the dealer should fix it under warranty, this is the sort of thing where they might scratch the steering wheel during removal or get a stain in the leather if they're not careful. Is it possible that it's coming from the suspension and travelling up the chassis and making you think it's from behind the dashboard? Do they still use the suspension blocks on the mk6?

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
This might be the springs for adjusting the steering column. If it is sounds like short oscillations that is what it is. Have them put those little rubber glove thinggers on em and see if it fixes the issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi! Thanks for the responses, I checked out that article about removing the steering wheel and I really hope I don't have to go that far..:ugh I think I would bring it to the dealer for that kind of surgery.
The steering column springs sound like a good candidate though, I'm going to pop of the console panel underneath and see what's going on in there.
I'm not sure about suspension blocks - is that for when the car is shipped?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have something similar, but in my case the sound seems to be from the clear plastic in front of the instrument panel. It started out as a slight rattle but developed into more of a squeaking sound. I put my hand on the plastic and pushed it around a bit and that seems to have reduced the noise.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Good way to diagnose these without taking too much apart (or things that cannot be removed and still function) is to use things like packing materials. That's how I determined my springs were making annoying vibration. Originally I thought it was coming from the instrument panel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had rattle/squeak in my old Beemer. Turned out to be a fan. Happened when I went over speed bumps and settled after I parked it for a while.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a rattle coming from the bottom piece of plastic below the speedometer and odometer, that touches both gauges. If I pushed it around, it would reproduce or stop the sound. At some point, it just went away after I messed around with it enough.

Right now I have a metal against metal rattling/springing sound that comes from below the steering column. If I push on the dash (below the steering column) it stops. Does that work for you? I found that I could get on the driver's side floor, looking behind the dashboard plastic, and reproduce the sound ever so slightly by pushing against a metal piece about a foot up behind the dash.

Not excited about trying to get that fixed. I think I might just stuff some foam against it, but I'm concerned that something is actually getting loose that shouldn't be.

Also, if anyone has rattles from the door panels and know the fix, I'm interested. If I push against the padded piece above the armrest, it will stop. I have it in both driver and passenger side front doors (4-door), so it seems like a design issue rather than some random rattle.

I still really enjoy the car, I just need to have the stereo turned up. :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
We have an annoying intermittent rattle coming from the dash of our jsw as well. So far I've been unable to locat the source, and taking it into the dealer for something that is difficult to reproduce is really just futile.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi - love the car but have an annoying rattle coming from the driver's side when going over small bumps in the road. Not sure, but seems to be coming from the steering wheel/ column?
I tried putting pieces of paper between all the seams while driving, also spraying lube into the emblem in the center of the steering wheel - seems to be coming from there!? I'm trying to avoid taking everything apart - but I'm being pushed to that point..
Anybody else having this problem? .. Any ideas?
Hi, I too experience this rattling noise in my 2011 jetta tdi. Any luck on identifying the issue or fixing it? I'm debating on whether to take it into the dealer. Please let me know, it gets annoying! :dunno

·
Registered
308 Posts
On a slightly different note (didn't want to start a new thread over this, i guess its somewhat relative to this one), my girlfriend noticed something amiss with my passenger door today. It seemed to kind of jump and was very rough as it was opened to each intermediate position between open and closed. From the driver's side while she demonstrated it to me, it seemed like the door was getting ready to fall off. You can imagine my facial expression.

Long story short, I get home and I open the door and observe the hinges. Sure enough, both bolts that secure the lower hinge to the door were backed out 1/8 to 2/8s of an inch (or abt 2-3mm for those not stuck in the stone age). I was amazed...I guess they weren't torqued properly at the factory. I took out a 13mm wrench and went to town on them after checking the door alignment. I checked all the other doors, everything was tight. Hopefully the worker (or machine) that secures the door isn't the one that builds the HPFP! (Obviously I'm being facetious)

I guess she's falling apart already! Lol...j/k this is the only problem I've found with the car (other than that wind noise at highway speed coming from the rear) in 5 months and 8,000 miles of ownership, I think she'll be fine...but this was such a random surprise!! Couldn't help but share.

·
Registered
1 Posts
On the intermittent rattle on the dash board problem - We have the problem as well. However I have identified the source. There is a plastic strip under the windshield wipers that rattles when the car vibrates. It sounds like it is coming from the dash, but it is not.
The issue I have now is getting the dealer to replace the part.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had a rattle toward the front of the center console until I used my diamond nail file and put it back in the little ash tray looking thing a little differently. The rattle is gone. Or maybe I forgot my hearing aids this time.............

·
Registered
1 Posts
2011 Jetta Rattles

Gald and sad that I am not the only one. I bought a 2.0 Comfortline for my wife and TDI for myself. I have the same rattle in both cars. My guess is the rattle is coming from the dash area specifically the clear plastic glass area. When I hit the top of the dash it goes away. I have an appointment in three days and I think they will find it this time. Also my horn is not securely fastened and makes a noice when it is hit. BOTH ARE INTERMITTENT which is frustrating for everyone. My seat is also squeeking but thankfully it does it very routinely.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the exact same problem seems to be coming from the instrument panel - also my speedometer is not accurate it reads 10km higher than the actual speed - I am taking it in to VW this week and will post once they take a look at it.
I love the car but the noise is driving me nuts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the dealer look at mine today and they pulled the whole cover off the instrument panel and it needs to be replaced. The noise is now gone when I am driving it. The mechanic said that it is just a faulty fit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dashboard Rattle Fixed

I pick up the car today and VW have replaced the housing unit around the speedometer and vents - it has fixed the buzzing noise. They confirmed that the seal on the drivers door is poorly fitted and have ordered a new one to replace it. I am not too impressed with the finish on the car in general not sure if I just got a bad one or this is the norm with a new vehicle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2011 Rattle

I bought my Jetta in January, it's been to the shop 3x since then. The first time it took a week to find and fix the problem and they had to replace 4 parts in my pillar. A few days later the rattle came back. The second time, I don't even think they looked at it. The third time, it was in for a few days and they replaced the entire center console. The rattle came back again 2 days later. I sent an email to VW corporate and informed them that I loved the car but it's been in 3x and the issue isn't resolved. I stated that I want to roll over into a new lease. I was just at the dealer today and had my car dealer, the sales mgr and the service mgr all in a circle. They stated that they had already received a call from corporate informing them that they VW engineer for our area needs to see my car but he is on vaca until next week. My thoughts are that since they have already had 3 attempts and sunk in at least $3,000+ worth of labor and parts, they might as well just buy it out. I wonder if the Audi A4 has the same problems since their almost the same car....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts