VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, im back again, this time i have another new one, started my car up today and fuel gauge showed half a tank(showed that when i switched off), i drove for about half a mile with a few lefts and right turns and i looked at the dash and noticed the fuel gauge had gone up to 3 quaters full, it took the rest of the journey for the needle to settle to half again (20 mins) i thought that driving round corners would cause the fuel in the tank to shift and make the needle move but it has never done this before! i have also heard that dash pods fail, is this a possible symptom of a failing dash or has anybody had this before? car is a golf mk 3 1997 1.9 tdi, many thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Yes, dash pods fail but it's normally the speedometer or odometer.

My bet is on bad fuel sender in the fuel tank or bad wiring. It's a float attached to a rheostat. I would just note it and keep driving - if it never happens again then great, lol!

Oh, and check all the engine grounds. They can corrode and cause funny problems like the one you are having.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just a bit concerned as i had a ford that the gauge played up on a lot! that thing caught me out more than once! ill keep an eye on it and see what happens, thankyou

1 - 4 of 4 Posts