VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased new cv halfshafts from NAPA. I do not trust/want to use the flange bolts that came in the box. Where can I obtain the proper bolts short of a dealer? I'm guessing these are single use items. What about tightening sequence, thread lube, and torque specs. All info welcome. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
The dealer. They are supposed to be replace every time.

Tighten diagonally to 7.5 ft-lb. This makes sure it's flat. Then tighten to 52 ft-lb diagonally. Although they don't say to put threadlocker I put medium strength threadlocker as cheap insurance. As you tighten them, make sure the torque wrench is perpendicular against the bolt or else it can throw off the torque reading. A common problem is the bolts backing out.

·
Registered
139 Posts
You can reuse them but make sure to use threadlocker. They should have an anti-corrosion coating on them which is why you shouldn't use any other bolts. Other than that there's nothing special about them. I think they say to replace them because the heads get stripped.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I returned the NAPA shafts as I was not pleased with them. The long shaft looked like it was for an automatic or a VR6, the shaft was a lot larger than the short one. I'm just going to replace the joints on my OEM's. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly welcomed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts