VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, was able to change timing belt for my 2006 TDI Beetle with the excellent info from this site. Need to change CV axles. Are there any tips, torque specs and procedures that can be shared? RonC_808

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Are you wanting to change them out as an assembly? That is the easiest and I would recommend contacting raxles.com (No I'm not an employee) as their axles are outstanding and they will ensure you get the correct ones along with all new hardware and installation instructions. You will never have to replace them again if you put raxles on

·
Super Moderator
9,408 Posts
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

This is a new forum layout which is owned by a company 6 months ago that doesn't give a dam with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or original similes. It doesn't show the car spec/location.

Add your car specs to your signature that will show on every post you make.

We Are Live - Community Feedback

This has been talked about many times.

I've made a poll which no one has posted in, there are a few votes and comments.

Do you like the new forum features?

Wiki pages have been restored as of 7th December, I asked where is the link it should be on top of the main forum.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi all, was able to change timing belt for my 2006 TDI Beetle with the excellent info from this site. Need to change CV axles. Are there any tips, torque specs and procedures that can be shared? RonC_808
Thanks Dave N. for your input. Yes, I was planning to change the left and right CV axle assemblies. Did contact RAXLES and actually got a quote to have CV axles shipped to Hawaii, the response from RAXLES was "Holy cow!". Yup, shipping to Hawaii is expensive. May need to settle on getting axles from a local auto parts store. Mainly need the specs/procedures for the axle nut(s) and the torque specs for the axle inner bolts.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Thanks Dave N. for your input. Yes, I was planning to change the left and right CV axle assemblies. Did contact RAXLES and actually got a quote to have CV axles shipped to Hawaii, the response from RAXLES was "Holy cow!". Yup, shipping to Hawaii is expensive. May need to settle on getting axles from a local auto parts store. Mainly need the specs/procedures for the axle nut(s) and the torque specs for the axle inner bolts.
Oh thats easy but I would need a photo of whats in there because there are three different types in use on the MK4 and they are all a little different

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Dave N.
Took some pictures, LMK if you need better ones. Shots are behind the brakes and tried to take a picture of the portion that connects to the transmission. BTW the engine code is BEW and the transmission,DSG.

RonC_808

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Hey Dave N.
Took some pictures, LMK if you need better ones. Shots are behind the brakes and tried to take a picture of the portion that connects to the transmission. BTW the engine code is BEW and the transmission,DSG.

RonC_808
View attachment 8521 View attachment 8523
Those are AAR-3300i axles. The transmission side bolts are torque to yield and need to be replaced whenever removed and their initial torque is 7.5 foot pounds then 52 foot pounds and check them again after a hundred miles. The nut on the outside of the axle is likely a 12 point and also needs to be replaced whenever removed. Assuming the replacement is a 12 point the torque is (with the weight of the car on the ground) 148 foot pounds, then back off 1/2 turn, then roll the car one half turn on the wheels, tighten to 37 foot pounds, plus 1/6 turn. Not too many manufacturers use the 6 sided nut on these anymore but if you get one of those let me know and I will tell you the torque on them

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Also you want to be sure and have the right triple square driver bit for the bolts that go to the transmission side. They aren't torx or allen bolts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those are AAR-3300i axles. The transmission side bolts are torque to yield and need to be replaced whenever removed and their initial torque is 7.5 foot pounds then 52 foot pounds and check them again after a hundred miles. The nut on the outside of the axle is likely a 12 point and also needs to be replaced whenever removed. Assuming the replacement is a 12 point the torque is (with the weight of the car on the ground) 148 foot pounds, then back off 1/2 turn, then roll the car one half turn on the wheels, tighten to 37 foot pounds, plus 1/6 turn. Not too many manufacturers use the 6 sided nut on these anymore but
Thanks for the information Dave...
Aloha

RonC_808

1 - 10 of 10 Posts