VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got hold of some stuff made by lucas for powersteering leaks, they reckon it'll stop any leak as long as it's from a seal, my rack has been leaking quite severely lately (due to a stupid alignment garage tearing my rack boot:annoyed) and so I thought what the hell, it's only £10 ($16-17 for you guys in the states). I put the magic fluid in yesterday evening before I went out and after driving last night and today the level hasn't gone down so it seems to be working so far.

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/di...w&headTitle= - Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak

and the UK site

http://www.lucasoil.co.uk/products.php?page=products&subpage=product&product=16

I'll be keeping a eye on it over the next few days but I'll keep you updated on how it goes, could save a pile of money.:)

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
Sounds good... let us know how it goes...

I have a leak somewhere around the rack - although I couldn't isolate it last time I looked... we hardly ever drive that car, so I haven't yet put in the Lucas... I'll probably go on a small trip this coming Friday, so I guess I'll test it out then...

Cheers,

Yuri

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
My power steering fluid level kept going down also.
We kept adding and adding and sometimes it would eat so much fluid that there wasn't any in the reservoire!:panic:
lets just say the pump did not sound happy at all :ugh

Then I found out on here that you can't just put regular automatic transmission fluid in it like most american cars...

i drained the system, put the good 'green stuff' in it, and the level hasn't changed for 6 months!
its happy now =]

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish I could say the same stroud but it was pissing out both ends of the rack and I've never used anything but the proper stuff, it costs about the same price as this lucas stuff and when the resevoir's empty every couple of days it does add up and gets on my tits:)

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have come to the conclusion that the lucas stop leak stuff is crap, my rack just got worse and worse until it was like pouring the fluid through a straight pipe so I found a shorter aux belt knocking about in my shed and drove around for a week or so without power steering but at last I have a nice new rack and wil be fitting it tommorrow, just need to pop to the shop for a tie rod first.:)

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
So you didn't manage to locate that steering rack of eBay that you talked about?

All this stop leak stuff advertised is never going to be any good. To stop a leak that way your going to have to increase its viscosity that much that it will impare its function.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I managed to get one from a company that uses ebay but it's been a hassle, fitting the rack is a bloody night mare of a job. The high pressure line was totally stuck in the rack, I had to pull the whole thing out the side of the car and get it off with big stilsons. Man I've been at it all day and I'm still not finished, got it all in place though but still need to get the return pipe back in and fix the tank, I broke it trying to get the return pipe off. Time for some glue, I hate this job lol, give me a head job or timing belt anytime.:)

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went back out and got the pipes all connected, the steering column connected and a couple of other bits.

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Don't give us a blow by blow of what pipes you've fitted make a detailed write up with pictures for FAQ competition?

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No chance, if anyone needs their steering rack done my advice is let someone else do it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rack Leaking power steering Fluid

Ok,

My Daughter just called from College, She has an 03 Jetta Wolfsburg Edition (Automatic Trans) and Power steering fluid is leaking out slowly from Rack above Brace underneath the car where the rack and pinion rods go in? The Car is very clean underneath and it seams to be leaking on the passenger side where the fluid is splashing up on the floor board. The crossbar blocking sight to this steering box makes it very difficult to see what is going on in Here. In her words "She is a broke ass mug" and Daddy needs to fix it for her on Sunday, she is going through a bottle of steering fluid about every 2-3 weeks, and it makes a winey low steering fluid type noise when it starts running out of fluid. I have a hydraulic floor jack and a Nice set of tools and impact? What is the skinny? Has anyone done this before? I am pretty good with cars and have rebuilt Chevy 350, Snowmobile, and Lawn engines before, I have changed suspension systems on jeeps and installed lift kits, I have installed radiators, power steering pumps, alternators, transmissions, engines, etc. I did this work on Chevy, Ford, Jeep's, Toyota's. Never on a VW let me know what you think, Prefer a qualified VW Tech give me the skinny on this or maybe a youtube video would be helpful.

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
I have come to the conclusion that the lucas stop leak stuff is crap
It seemed to have fixed (I guess that's the term) the leak in my car... at least I haven't had to add any fluid for about a year - yes, for quite a while it still leaked, even though it was almost running pure Lucas - (I must have gone through 3 bottles of Lucas) which is too thick, and the car complained in the dead of Winter... diluted it with some proper VW fluid, and as I said, I haven't needed to add anything in quite a while... it's worth a shot...

Yuri

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Seam like they are still some leaking rack out there, let me tell you about my last 2 days starting in the morning Tuesday the 12/08/2014, first my car is a Golf GLS TDI 2003 with 346,866KM on it and going still strong!

Here we go, going to work I felt like a bad wheel bearing when changing lane and it did it both way (left & right) well it is not so hard to do, it could have been a bad bearing after all even after I have replace them all last May! Leaving work I heard the power steering pump moaning and felt the slight vibration in the steering (not the bearing after all) I made it home some 45KM away and first thing check the level, it is low, I jack the car up, remove my aluminum belly plate and start my visual inspection the were sign of leaking fluid by the rear sub-frame assy (yes I have replace the bushing just 3 week ago...) the rack was fine it was the 2 lines coming from the rack spool valve to the piston side of the rack, not too bad just remove the one torx screw and 2 clip and out they go, the removal was easy 5-10min, now to fix it. It is not a normal flare as most tech know it is a push flare (so I heard from a hydraulic shop) so I logging the internet trying to find those 2 lines no one has them has separate parts to be order, next thing to do get the next higher assembly the Rack, too expensive for me because my rack is in top shape except for the rusted lines. I try a rubber hose that I glide over with pain and suffering but I was not counting on that because the exhaust flex is right above those 2 lines (too close for comfort for me) On the 13 I called my boss saying I am taking the day off, and off I went to find the almost impossible, at the stealership over at Bytek in Ottawa, they know me and recommend a hydraulic shop called Diote Hyd, nice guy's but they do not have the special tool to make that push flare so after a long moment of thinking I decided to go at Hunt Club VW stealership they direct me to the same shop...I say it will not work so the parts manager start to think and sent me to Axle Automotive in downtown Ottawa at 15.00pm (traffic) I talk to Sam and for $80.00 a piece (cheaper that a rack) they sold me the impossible to get, the 2 lines that I needed here are their address: http://www.ic.gc.ca/app/ccc/srch/nv...749&profile=cmpltPrfl&profileId=1921&app=sold

I have uploaded some pic, Note: the lines I have install some heat shrink in order to protect them a little more from the element.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts