VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I was watching the news on Hartford's NBC channel, and a story came on about a woman who had recently had a CEL come on in her '09 TDI. So she took it into her dealer (Bob Valenti's Old Saybrook VW) who reported that she had algae forming in her tank, which moved through the rest of the system and destroyed the fuel system/engine. I tried to find the film online but was unable to. I don't know how she did it, but the owner didn't seem pissed off at all. She was in disbelief, and just wanted to sell it and get a new car. It must be a combination of her being a very happy person, and the story the dealer gave her about it being a one-in-a-million event.

They took the film crew to a shop that does work on diesels, especially marine diesels since this is on the coastline. The guy there said that he had seen this in vehicles and boats (especially, since they sit in a wet environment next to the shore) that sit for a long time. The guy also said that a good additive, like the Standyne he had on his workbench, would prevent this. Not a mention of HPFP failure by anyone on the report.

The puzzling thing is that the woman drove this car all the time; high mileage was one of the reasons she bought it-so how did the large amount of algae develop in a car that is driven routinely?

I know that algae must mess up the lubricity of the fuel, but how long would you have so let the car sit for this to develop. Tha only thing I can think of is that she brought in a HPFP failure, and to avoid a warranty claim someone at the dealership went over to a marsh behind the shop and picked up a jar full to dump into the tank (or drained fuel).

I'm not on the forum that much, so maybe I've missed something, but this doesn't seem right. :dunno

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
same old same old

Stuff can indeed grow in fuel. At worse it will clog or plug the fuel filter. NOT cause a hpfp failure. This is just another case of a dealership blaming a hpfp failure on "contaminated fuel" This has been VW's stance the whole way through this problem. They have made revisions to this pump 3 times and probably still don't have it right.Too bad someone with some knowledge of this hpfp failure problem couldn't have talked to the news crew.

dweisel

·
Registered
5 Posts
Only Under Certain Conditions

:)

I recall learning many years ago that algae can only form under certain conditions.

If I recall correctly, there must be warmth among other things.
I though it was sort of colder back there at this time of the year? :confused:

:D

D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wonder if this car had the 2 hole filter assembly? If it did, then there would be a space for water in the filter canister to grow algae. All it would take is buy some contaminated algae containing fuel to start a nice slime pond in the bottom of the fuel filter canister.

So to prevent this:
1..Drain filter often even though you usually almost never see water in fuel. (2 hole filter)
2..Now besides the Bio Diesel, Standyne, 2-stroke oil, etc. , you are to add a biocide. Sounds like an illness that has you taking a handfull of pills every day.
3..Add biocide to your Bio supply too. B-20 (?) Keep all fuels and additives fresh.
4..Consider water seperator, or another fuel canister and a water seperator.
5..Put a one hole filter canister on the car (see 4)
6..Blame VW for not having enough Foresight to plan for this from the beginning. A water sensor in the 2 hole canister was / is needed.

dweisel has considered some better things to solve canister issues.

eddif

·
Registered
24 Posts
Stuff can indeed grow in fuel. At worse it will clog or plug the fuel filter. NOT cause a hpfp failure. This is just another case of a dealership blaming a hpfp failure on "contaminated fuel" This has been VW's stance the whole way through this problem. They have made revisions to this pump 3 times and probably still don't have it right.Too bad someone with some knowledge of this hpfp failure problem couldn't have talked to the news crew.

dweisel
The algae could not get through the fuel filter. I guess Valenti is saying that pump was starved for fuel while running and went kablooey!

Possible, I guess, although I doubt it. This was an '09 so it's the first pump design.

God help us all.

P.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
I have a definate distrust of dealer diagnosed fuel system problems. I guess VW and the dealer almost always point the finger at the fuel. Of course if we didn't put fuel in we would never have a hpfp failure! Its ashame that dealerships seem to always blame it on fuel,which ends up falling on the owner. And most of the time its an unknowing owner.

I know of one instance were an owner paid a local dealership close to $1,000 to clear up an algae problem. When in fact it would of only taken adding $20 worth of biocide and changing the fuel filter a couple of times.

Oh well, I guess thats the price you pay if you trust a dealership to TAKE CARE of you.

Don't get me wrong. There are a FEW good dealerships out there. They're just hard to find.

dweisel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts