VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've been banging my head against this engine for weeks now. First it was a bad rebuilt head with loose precups, and now with a new head I find that the timing belt wants to creep forward and the flange for the intermediate shaft cog is cutting the edge off it. What gives? I center the belt on the cogs but as the engine rotates it moves forward. I've lost about a mm off the front edge of this belt after only a few 100 revolutions. Anyone ever encounter this? It's a 1.6 Jetta TD.

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
Check the bolt that holds the lower sprocket to the crankshaft... On many earlier models that bolt comes loose and the pulley can damage the "nose" of the crankshaft... eventually the pulley can come off altogether...

Yuri

PS: I believe that bolt is a single-use fastener that must be replaced each time...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THat part seems fine. I did notice one of the bolts mounting the injection pump to it's bracket was loose. Here's hoping that's the solution.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope that wasn't it. But I did discover that by prying on the edge of the injection pump cog I can wiggle it back and forth about a mm. This thing was rebuilt not that many miles ago so I'm surprised to see that. But perhaps a little play is allowed? Or is that the reason the belt is sliding forward so badly?

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Was it a decent belt kit you bought and fitted? Nothing looking slightly off down there i.e. water pump, tensioner etc?:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its definitely the IP. THe belt is fine until that point where is slides away. Apparently a little play is allowed but it is possible to misalign the pump. There's nothing in my manual about this but I guess I could try playing with it and see what I get.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, looks like it's the IP bushings. Almost 10 thou play. I'm wondering if I should attempt rebuild myself or just cough up the 700 clams to get this rebuilt injection pump rebuilt again. Damn, that's new head, rebuilt motor, rebuilt turbo, new injectors and now a re-rebuild of injection pump. I thought diesels were supposed to save you money!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All over the place. local jobber, ebay, partsplace.com for the new head. I've been toying with at least dismantling the IP to the bushing and having that done by my local machine shop, but even if successful I still need the thing calibrated so I"m really no further ahead. This is one place you gotta pay the techs if you want to do it right.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts