VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK We have a small problem.........and I'm a little unsure what is happening.

Have the new kit on order and just had a look at everything. Cam....TDC ..,,OK. Injection Pump lock......OK. Rotate the crank and great.....nice green TOC mark on the flywheel. Back the front of the motor and what the heck.....this doesn't look like the youtube video!

One of the videos said that.......you line up the centre dot of the three on the HB with the casting mark and then check the TOC on the crank. Nope....not even close.

The timing belt was changed back at 260,000kms and the tranmission R/R at 180,000km. Any chance the marks would have been screwed up when this was done? Not likely be I don't know which one to use.

Thanks Folks

Dave

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
I'm not sure about that "green" mark on the flywheel... normally there's just a dash (or a -0- for automatics) stamped into the flywheel (drive-plate)... If someone put that mark by hand, perhaps it's accurate, perhaps it's not...

There's a mark on the harmonic balancer - sort of a little bite chewed out on the back edge that's supposed to line up with a vertical dash on the lower (metal) timing belt cover. It's not nearly as reliable as a flywheel mark, but it will get you in the right ballpark...

If you don't trust the flywheel, then you need to remove the glow plug for cylinder 1 and put a probe (thick wire like part of a metal clothes hanger) down and use a dial indicator to locate TDC... (Actually, you're supposed to use two marks - one when it appears to stop moving when someone turns the crankshaft clockwise, and another one when you do it in reverse a few degrees... TDC is midway between the marks...) BTW, you should turn the engine over using a 12-point 19mm socket on the center bolt in the harmonic balancer...

Good luck,

Yuri

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The cam and injection pump were fine when the engine was openner up, but the crank was out due to the stripped belt. The HB and the flywheel seem to differ in what they are telling me and that's the source my confusion. The flywheel mark.......has been made green by someone........and appears to be the right shape for the manual transmission we have. The crank........according to the things I've seen.......with the centre circle lined up with the casting mark..........also appears to be proper from what I've read. Is the three circles correct for the 2002 5 spd? Or should I be looking for another casting mark/alignment point?

I think I will pull the glowplug and see which mark is the closest to TDC and see if this make sense as far as the rest of the engine operations are concerned. If I can turn it over by hand OK.....then I will try the next step and cross my fingers, toes and eyes. If anything is wrong, turning it over by hand SHOULD tell me before anything is damaged.

Regards Dave

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
Question: You had stripped teeth on the timing belt? Have you removed the cylinder head for an overhaul or are you simply trying to put another timing belt kit on?

Yuri

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This it the part that may sound a little strange to those that know the TDI better than I. The belt failed during an attempt to start the engine last winter.......about -25 and the engine never ran or started. When the belt was checked later in the spring, the belt rotated and everything LOOKED OK. The engine cycle seemed way out and attempts to start the engine all failed.........the starting aid blew away from the intake rather than entering the intake.

Based upon this, and the leakdown test........There appears to be compression in all cylinders which leads me to believe (hope) that the valves were not touched enough to bend them....as they still seal with the head. My plan (if you call it that) was to install the new belt........top up the coolant.......and fire up the engine. I know that there is a risk by raking that approach but the car has 440,000 on it now and finding one out of a totalled car may be a better option than removing the head. Have a line on a 2003 with 160,000kms that may be cheaper than a rebuilt head.

Make any sense?

And the green dot has the same makings as the TDC I've seen in the pictures.......just in the wrong place. In the garage tonight and will pull the glowplug.........

Dave

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
I've seen pics of comparisons between TDI dual mass flywheels and others. They stacked one on the other and lined up the crank bolt holes. The timing marks were not even close. Do you have the stock flywheel or a different one? Or, do you have an auto trans?

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
This it the part that may sound a little strange to those that know the TDI better than I. The belt failed during an attempt to start the engine last winter.......about -25 and the engine never ran or started. When the belt was checked later in the spring, the belt rotated and everything LOOKED OK. The engine cycle seemed way out and attempts to start the engine all failed.........the starting aid blew away from the intake rather than entering the intake.

Based upon this, and the leakdown test........There appears to be compression in all cylinders which leads me to believe (hope) that the valves were not touched enough to bend them....as they still seal with the head. My plan (if you call it that) was to install the new belt........top up the coolant.......and fire up the engine. I know that there is a risk by raking that approach but the car has 440,000 on it now and finding one out of a totalled car may be a better option than removing the head. Have a line on a 2003 with 160,000kms that may be cheaper than a rebuilt head.

Make any sense?

And the green dot has the same makings as the TDC I've seen in the pictures.......just in the wrong place. In the garage tonight and will pull the glowplug.........

Dave
If the belt strips at the IP, engine stalls out. If the belt strips at the crank which is how it usually does as in your case, prob a few valves are damaged. Since it happened at engine start maybe you could get away with it but I would personally do a full inspection at least. Remove valves and check them, if all is OK you just need head gasket. At least remove cam and check lifters. If it fails later, as you said, it may be worth to just swap in a used engine. Of course the choice is yours but it will be inconvenient if it fails later.my two cents

The valves go straight up-down so if there was some minor damage it will just mushroom the stems, compression will still be OK in many cases.

FYI, by that mileage the oil pump tensioner is getting worn out too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you are interested in a great mechanic in Peace River, let me know. Excellent guy, very reasonable prices and a multiple VW owner himself...Sorry thats the only advice I can give as I'm not to diesels...PM me...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well....everything final arrived and time for the.....try it before you pull off the head game........after a couple of tries everything was lined up and stayed that way. Turning over by hand........clunk......what was that noise??? OK another set of ears.......try again.......clunk......coming from the head??? One more time........yup valves on two cylinders are sticking and then releasing........Dam I hate when you guys are RIGHT.

Anyone have a good source for heads in Alberta? Found one in Ontario but that's a little far to go if there is something closer. Gaskets, bolts, etc.... as well. Concept1 has some parts but not all on the website.

Thanks Again

DAve

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm not sure about that "green" mark on the flywheel... normally there's just a dash (or a -0- for automatics) stamped into the flywheel (drive-plate)... If someone put that mark by hand, perhaps it's accurate, perhaps it's not...

There's a mark on the harmonic balancer - sort of a little bite chewed out on the back edge that's supposed to line up with a vertical dash on the lower (metal) timing belt cover. It's not nearly as reliable as a flywheel mark, but it will get you in the right ballpark...

If you don't trust the flywheel, then you need to remove the glow plug for cylinder 1 and put a probe (thick wire like part of a metal clothes hanger) down and use a dial indicator to locate TDC... (Actually, you're supposed to use two marks - one when it appears to stop moving when someone turns the crankshaft clockwise, and another one when you do it in reverse a few degrees... TDC is midway between the marks...) BTW, you should turn the engine over using a 12-point 19mm socket on the center bolt in the harmonic balancer...

Good luck,

Yuri
hi I understand in other words crank nd flywheel mark must correspond to each other to dictate Tdc

·
Super Moderator
9,151 Posts
hi I understand in other words crank nd flywheel mark must correspond to each other to dictate Tdc
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

This is a new forum layout with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or original similes. It doesn't show the car spec/location or signature properly either

We Are Live - Community Feedback

This has been talked about many times.

I've made a pole which no one has posted in, there are a few votes and comments.

Do you like the new forum features?

Wiki pages have been restored as of 7th December, I asked where is the link it should be on top of the main forum.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts