VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm brand new on this thread. I have a problem. I installed a replacement engine into the car. Typically cranks perfectly but doesn't start. I decided to prime the fuel by taking out the glow plugs. Turns out theres no puffs of diesel mist at all off any holes. I took off the fuel filter and put pieces of brake pipes on the hoses to bypass the filter. So I tested the fuel flow. I shoved one of the pipes into the bottle. There is fuel flowing from the inlet pipe the bottle filled up, then I connected that up to the other pipe that leads to the inlet part of the tandem pump. I disconnected the return pipe and theres fuel flowing from the return pipe too. The lift pump is making working sounds. This seems to me that the injectors arnt playing ball or would it be a tandem pump fault? I plugged in the vcds there are no DTC's whatso ever except radio. no warning lights when cranking. the engine is not getting fuel injected. What might be the problem? will I reset the injector rockers? the belt is new and the tools slot straight into the holes and tentioned bang on centre. crank and cam sensor is on and vcds would have picked up those problems otherwise. I haven't checked the fuel relay and not sure which one is it. I checked injector connector plugs nothing loose. the car doesnt seem to know there is a problem. any ideas?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Year/type car/engine model info in your posts would be helpful so that those reading your post can be more specific in their answers/suggestions.

Narrow down your diagnostics to which side of the system the probable issue is located:
Did the engine start & run before the installation?
Did the removed engine run prior to its removal?
Any DTC's? What is your VCRS telling you? If you do not have one, investing in one will save time & $$$.

Good Luck with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whoop sorry my bad. its a 2004 vw passat b5.5 1.9tdi. it has an awx pd130 installed on it while the car previously had an avb pd100 engine. used the same original avb pd100 injectors, tandem, pipes etc. while its fitted with awx block. no the previous engine was blown. the previous ownerbusted the sump and probably kept driving it till it died. So I swapped the engine. so the symptoms it cranks fine no warnings or anything but it doesnt fire at all. I took the glow plugs out and theres no diesel mist out of any of them. Plugged the vcds into the car and there was no DTCs at all apart from one rear speaker. I bunged up the return line to give more pressure and gave it full throttle while cranking. no mist out of the glow plug holes to purge. so on the engine meas blocks the engine speed says 147 / min and theres injected quantity 31.8 mg/str. am suprised theres no fault codes apart from radio with a faulty rear speaker which has nothing to do with the problem. I took the tandem pump out and there was diesel flowing even turned the wheel thing on the pump and it squirts out alot of fuel no prob. I did unplug the map sensor temporarily to take the tandem pump out but plugged back in again and cleared that one. I tested the injector plug with all the pins in it and the tester has flashed power out of each pins so there is power and I checked the harness aswell there was connection with the multimeter on every pin. I now just pulled the injectors out and pulled the front of the car out to check the timing belt etc. Gona reinstall injectors and tune them again. assuming the injector tune was done arseways. There was diesel flowing to the injector ports from their holes. they have fuel and power. It might be timing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I did use the power tester anyways and the light was flashing from each pin aswell as used the multimeter on the injector harness and I checked the plugs for connection so they seem to have signal. so when I get the injectors reinstalled maybe if I unplug some injectors I might see if theres trouble codes popping up. Havent got at my car because of work so maybe tuesday evening. timing belt seems to be spot on. the pin and the locks click into place and pulleys pointing at the right directions. so I'm gonna reinstall the injectors again and try start it again. once I get diesel purge from glow plug holes then its go time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked the timing and what I did was check the timing sprocket locking tool and its slightly off because I mocked it up on the old engine and the crank pulley didnt match the arrow and the tool wasnt sitting right and thats with the cam shaft locked up so I eyeballed it and marked the tool. then I undid the 13mm bolts on the cam pulley and adjusted it while turning the crank gave that a wee nudge and tightened it. then I reinstalled the injectors again and tuned them. so tried again and hey presto the injectors are injecting! But I cant say what was the cause of it most likely timing belt.. then theres another problem. I put the glow plugs back in and tried to start it but it wont fire up. looks like more investigation. might check compression and plug in vcds. am geting a low oil pressure warning light coming up while cranking.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does the Tach display cranking speed immediately upon cracking? Asked differently: Is there a delay in the tach display after cracking?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah the needle goes up right after I crank it. I'm gonna try mess with the tortianal value timing when I get the chance. Think I may have flooded the engine at this stage

·
Registered
15 Posts
From the quick tach display on cracking, i doubt your issue is in the ECM/Engine harness. You are probably on the correct diagnosis path. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Riteo I am back now sorry it's been a while.so I eventually got the car going but there was a lot of work and messing about. I cant say 100% on whats the cause but I'll say what I think it might be. I plugged in vcds and checked torsional value and it was off. about -1.07 then I went out and started adjusting the camshaft pulley by loosening 3 bolts and I had the glow plugs out too and I didn't have the camshaft pulley tool I could make one at a later stage. so I chanced with using the crank bolt and breaker bar to adjust with while the inner camshaft pulley will stay put. so I made an adjustment and it jumped to +2.11 or whatever which is obviously too far so made a few adjustments so I eventually made it around -0.06 not sure whether to give it another nudge or not it needed to be close to 0.0 but it should be good enough. So I cranked away no injection. was scratching my head why the hell is it not injecting. then another thought came to mind. if the timing adjustment is wrong then so is the injector timing, so I readjusted the injectors, loosened the lot and readjusted them. then turned the key and hey presto the injectors are injecting!!! fired the plugs back in and she fired right up! problem solved.
until the next day I started the engine for laughs or to make a snapchat video that shes alive. car wouldn't start.. you gotta be kidding me. Got the laptop on the torsional value was still the same it jumps around -0.06 and 0.0 it raised a brow but I think it should be fine. then took out the plugs again no injection out of any injectors. I was using alot of foul language. The car did run before perfectly. So I readjusted the injectors again no joy.. plugged the return line no joy.. took the diesel filter out and used two chopped lengths of brake lines and use those as bypasses on the fuel lines and I can access glow plug number 4. I had to get the battery charger/jumper on because I screwed the battery. I put on timing locking tools to see if its timed right they're spot on, I then decided right think ill just pull all the injectors out. So I pulled them out and the injectors were litrally drenched in diesel alot of excess ran out from around the injectors and be like hmmm this can't be normal they must be flooded. so alot of excess fuel was poured into the cylinder holes so I put the injectors back in again.. then adjusted them then turned they key and I got injection again! threw in the plugs again and she fired up again. then the next day or 3 the car didn't start I flipped again. then I noticed the camshaft sensor was destroyed so I looked at the teeth on the cam pulley and one of the teeth are sticking out slightly I hit my head at the engine I was so gutted. so I took the tensioner off and replaced the cam pulley using more foul language because I had no puller, a screw driver at the back and a lump hammer hahahaha motorfactors are closed because of covid and xmas holidays so I replaced that with the pulley that's off my old engine all the teeth are straight and I bought a new sensor too. to cut the rest of the long story short. I done all I needed to do. re tention and adjust tortion and adjust injectors and purged it and then she starts and runs again. Slight problem. shell crank about 2-3 seconds. a blip of a throttle helps start quicker. when ya start it again she'll start first turn. and I think the engine will still start ok at that. Ill need to fix other things like alternator because its screaming aternator garage and not charging and an intercooler because the bolt on stem on the plastic intercooler housing broke off theres air hissing out of it. sorry that was a long spiel but it may help some of ye. when ya install a new engine and it wouldnt start because of no fuel injecting from injectors plug laptop in check tortion value adjust accordingly then adjust injectors next because they would be off too and then it should inject. then put on glow plugs. if it doesn't start pull injectors out again they might be flooded (I think thats the cause too) and might need new seals. reinstall and readjust everything repeatedly. I turned the engine this morning now she had a slight long crank say 2-3 seconds then the following start seems straight away. The engine block is AWX and the injectors are from AVB. I'll leave this post up for ye.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts