VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone watch this? They had an episode where the host was travelling through texas in a van powered by veg oil, he stopped by a restaurant where they had buckets of grease for him. He filtered it through a t-shirt directly into the gas tank and took off.....

:eek2:

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
I don't do veg or bio but from what I know, that is exactly what not to do.

Bad filtration, probably high water content. What model van? Obviously it wasn't a VW and some models deal better with veg than others but still...

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Found a website , texas on veggie oil,
http://www.coolfuelroadtrip.com/coolfuelnz/episode.html

it looks like they were already finished with the trip.

If you were to choose between veg oil and biodiesel, biodiesel is better. There are too many tempting shortcuts with veg oil which people do take. I'm sure there are plenty of non-VW direct injection TDI for which veg is fine, I don't believe that the TDI is one of them.

Bio is the next step beyond veg oil. Is there a future fuel that could replace it? Yes, but I believe that biodiesel is the current champ of not only diesel alternatives, but all biofuels.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the van was a chevy astrovan but I'm not 100% sure. While they were driving, the fuel pump in the fuel tank also broke and needed to be replaced. Related? Maybe?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts