VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving down the road yesterday on my way to the parts store to get a fuse for my radiator fan and the coolant light starts flashing red at me and it beeped 3 times. I pull over and it stops flashing so I go to the store and put my new fuse in, it was fine for the rest of the day.
I think: problem solved

are my problems ever solved??? :confused:

today I started my 50 mile journey to go get my girl from school for the weekend, and halfway there it does it again... so I pull over and it stops. I proceed with my journey and not 2 miles down the road it does it again... so I pull over and check fluids and everything is fine. I get a suspicion that its running a little hot, so I take one for the team and turn the heat on full blast and it didn't do it the whole way to her dormitory.

on the way home, the heat is on full blast and about 10 miles into the trip (once we get out of town up to highway speed) the light starts flashing red and beeping at me again... and again... and again... so I decided to drive 50mph instead of 55mph and it was fine the whole way home.

sounds to me like its getting a little warm... :annoyed
where should I start trouble shooting?
I have a strong feeling that it is the radiator fan system because I have never seen them run since we've had the car... even since i put the new fuse in

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Maybe the coolant temp sensor or the level sensor in the expansion tank, apparenty you can try cleaning the sensor in the expan tank which can cure it.:)

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is strange
why is it that I can drive 50mph but not 55mph?

today I pretty much ruled out overheating as a possibility. I unplugged my AC compressor and turned on the AC switch in the cabin. this MAKES the fans run. I finally saw them run for the first time!:D
so I went down the road, reached highway speed for quite a few minutes and I got the same message from the instrument cluster:
"beep beep beep"
"red coolant light flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash... "

I pull over, the coolant hoses are not hot at all... i've drawn hotter bath water... so it CAN'T be getting too hot
now I know its a sensor
which one?
well I unplugged the coolant level sensor and the instrument cluster let me know RIGHT after I started the car up. so i'm thinking its not the level sensor... agree? disagree?

I feel like replacing the temp. sensor...

driving 5 mph under the speed limit might get me shot eventually! :pukerofl

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Try cleaning the one in the tank first because it's free:D

Do you have something to scan it with in case there's anything stored?:)

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is there a write up on how to clean it? cause just by lookin at it i'm not sure how that'd be done lol

and hopefully my brother can get my cable to work on his computer tomorrow... we've been trying to get it to work for weeks :annoyed

I also still need to do my pump timing
which probably isn't helping matters...

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
I think the way to clean it is carefully lol, I actually don't know off hand I've just read about causing your sort of issue.
So is that one of those ebay cables you're struggling with?:)

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes......:mad:

it was cheap... so I guess I haven't really lost a whole lot... And my brother is learning a lot about his computer! lol

he thinks he may have figured something out so I'm gonna see if it really works this time right now!

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well I unplugged the sensor and wired the plug to where the computer is happy
so I know its the coolant level sensor now
You were right seatman!

but why was it so random with its fits?
it really seemed like speed had something to do with it...
but I drove like 50 miles at 55mph today after I did my wire job and nothing

so I guess I'm in need of a new coolant reservoir?
any idea who sells them?

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Maybe somethiong to do with speed of the water pumping round? Who knows, these cars can be a bit odd.:)

You'll just have to google around I think but in the meantime if I find a post on cleaning it I'll let you know.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
well I unplugged the sensor and wired the plug to where the computer is happy
so I know its the coolant level sensor now
You were right seatman!

but why was it so random with its fits?
it really seemed like speed had something to do with it...
but I drove like 50 miles at 55mph today after I did my wire job and nothing

so I guess I'm in need of a new coolant reservoir?
any idea who sells them?
:thumbsup It's a very easy to find part since so many models use the same reservoir.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
"a bit odd"
lol
I blame all of the technology
its bitter sweet
it helps sometimes and just creates head aches other times...
:bangshead

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Lol I did warn you about not burning yourself to soon, well apparently you can try cleaning the prongs for the sensor? Worth a go if possible.:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts