VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I have just joined today to share my experience fitting coolant heaters on my 96/7 Passat B4 tdi's. I followed the awesome instructions on the website and must say they are by far the best i have come across after hours trawling TDI forums on the web.
I got a steal of a deal for the heaters at Greggs Distributors in Alberta at $50 Canadian, each and $10 for hoses and fittings making a complete kit for $60 and saved 70 or 80 dollars!! over the official kit price on doing each car.
After looking at the place the heater was going to be squeezed into, and talk of a new and expensive lower radiator hose, I checked out to fit the heater lower down below the lower radiator hose in the space at the end of the gearbox.
After a trip to Home Depot for an almost rust proof galvanised 2x6 joist hangar (.80cents) I sawed the ends off, drilled mounting holes and fitted the heater on the back of the inner wheel arch with free space all around it. I cut the skid plate foam off to clear around the base of the heater and make sure of adequate clearance of about 1/2". Apart from the short U shaped hose by the oil cooler, I reused the redundant oil cooler hose, cutting it down to form a short 40 degree bend off the top of the heater onto blue high miler hose with no danger of hoses rubbing or crimping on anything. The heater intake hose is about 5" longer than the TDI kit and the blue high miler outlet hose has a better thermal rise to the block hose. Plugged in at -20 deg C it warmed the block to hot to the touch and 70 on the coolant temp gauge in 1 hour. After our winter with several rude -35 deg C etc apoplectic morning starts relying on only an oil pan heater its the dogs wotsits!!

I can post pics later with a bit more free time if people are interested.

The bracket 'back' plate is 1 1/2 " square with a 1/4" hole drilled 1/2" below the top lip, the 2 'arms' are 4" long with 1/4" holes 3 1/2" from the back plate. the heater hangs from the underside of the arms.
When the bracket and heater are bolted together, the heater/bracket should be no more than 7 1/2" long from top of the bracket back plate to the end of the cable cover on the base of the heater.
The mounting hole should be drilled 4" above the bottom lip of the inner wheel arch above the forward mounting hole for the skid plate. Using the skid plate forward mounting hole as a vertical centre line, the hole should be drilled 1/4" to the rear of the line.

I hope thats useful to ya

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Sure, if you can post pics then the additional notes may be added to the writeup when I have time. The issue with some writeups in general is that the pics are out of focus or lack context - all you can see is a closeup of jumbles of hoses or wires, a closeup of a single bolt, etc., It's better to have a wider frame so you can see what you are looking at and then an arrow pointing out where your focus should be.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I'd like to see some more detail on a non frostheater install or if you just modded the existing parts that's good too.
If you need help post and someone will get to it. You can put together your own coolant heater but I don't mind paying a little extra for the exisiting parts. It looks like this person put together their own kit as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts