VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone out there know where the power to the coolant glowplugs comes from. They are independent from the engine glowplug circuit and I am trying to determine what brings the power to them as my plugs test good but they don't seem to have any power to them. I'm not having much luck tracing the power circuit to them.

·
Premium Member
9,642 Posts
Well I've never heard of coolant glowplugs, why would the coolant need glowplugs?

I've just looked through the wiring diagrams and nothing shows apart from Engine Coolant Heaters F4 50A in the Engine Bay Fuse Box 1.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
At least in the US, all manual transmission TDI have coolant glow plugs. It helps warm up the engine and faster warmup=lower emissions and smoother running. In the autos, the trans fluid cooler does this. They don't help with starting the engine at all.

They have their own separate relay and fuse. I don't have my manual in front of me but have you checked the fusebox? The relay or fuse might be on top of the battery.

·
Premium Member
9,642 Posts
In the UK we used the normal glowplugs on an extended time period to assist in engine warming, reduction of white smoke and emmissions, I still wouldn't call them coolant glowplugs?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked the fuses flowing to that circuit and they check good, so there must be a relay the voltage goes through, and thats what I am not finding. There is no voltage at the plugs. And just to clarify, some people may know them as coolant heaters. You check them pretty much the same as an engine glowplug. This is on an 06 Beetle TDI.

·
Premium Member
9,642 Posts
nothing shows apart from Engine Coolant Heaters F4 50A in the Engine Bay Fuse Box 1.
I said I found the Engine Coolant Heaters listed?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts