VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how to control vibration better on the highway. Do I need to replace the struts or bushings? The wheels are balanced well so I don't think it's a wheel balancing issue.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
If it's in the seat it could be the rear wheels/suspension, if it's in the steering wheel it's often the front. It could be wind buffeting if it's only when the windows are open. Bushings=possible, struts=not fast vibrations like a wheel vibration.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Don't forget that a bent wheel can be balanced and still vibrate due to a dent. More clues? As axles wear down, they can sometimes make a little vibration.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
You could try balancing the wheels again on a roadforce machine, these put the wheel on a roller to simulate the road. Ideally, any bends in the wheel will show up as a vibration.

I also hate wheel vibrations, a tricky area can be the axles, wear in them will produce vibration too but it's expensive to replace them.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
replaced the struts, ride is much better, mild vibration feels different but is still there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just replaced a bent/loose tensioner stud and it made a noticeable difference in vibrations. These weren't whole car vibrations but more like a resonance. It was causing a misaligned TB so you might want to pop off the cover and take a look.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
I was just wondering how to control vibration better on the highway. Do I need to replace the struts or bushings? The wheels are balanced well so I don't think it's a wheel balancing issue.
Is it a constant vibration?

At what speed does it start?

Which car do you have?

Where do you feel it?

Does it stop when you get off the gas, or keep going?

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As it turns out it was the tire balance. I took it to another place and it was improved. I guess they just had a better machine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts