VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have some input???
I am considering buying a 2005/2006 TDI jetta or a recent jetta 2009/2010 with new TDI engine, I am looking around and see the used jettas (100k miles +) $9K-$13K and a like new jetta (~500 miles to 15K) $21K-$23K.
The 2005/2006 jettas with an unknown history (how good was previous owner to car) and dealer doing a detail job on the car to hide clues of previous car taker, the used jettas are over priced in my opinion.

My struggle...
The 2005/2006 is depreciated out and maybe half its life gone (due to poor care).
The 2009/2010 will depreciate but I will be able to maintain properly and get max life out of powertrain.

Anyone else think the same thing about the used prices?? I am like everyone else, looking for the best long term deal.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The way I see, it the 05-06 have cam and flywheel problems but once you bring them up to maintenance they are pretty good. However, I would go with the 09-10 just because the engine is more powerful and like you said, will have plenty of life left. The HPFP issues are pretty scary but those are a few cars out of a thousand, whereas I'll be the majority of 05-06 have cam problems.

You could go the other way, get a 02-03 Jetta which is practically fully depreciated and just keep up with maintenance.

FYI, VW has good financing deals on the 2010 so you might want to get a new one anyways.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
FYI, if you chip the 05-06 they will have about as much power as the 09-10. And $9,000-$13,000 sounds fair for the 05-0 depending on condition and equipment.

For a 2009-2010 lightly used $23k is way too much. Just buy new at that price and get the features of the 2011 models like the newer bluetooth. Even though it loses the independent rear suspension, it should still handle better than a mk5 with over 100,000 miles on the original suspension.

·
Registered
1 Posts
With all of the mechanical problems on the horizon for the 2009 and 2010 cars, I would not buy used.
Unless the person was a TDI club member and was active in the regional GTG's and had a maintenance log.

·
Super Moderator
9,140 Posts
What you have to decide is whats the max you want to spend on another car.

If you can afford a new car then go for it that way you have the colour you want with the options you want and you can forget it covered for 3 years or 60k which over comes first.

I you go for this 2005/2006 TDI jetta with probably 100k or more on the clock you can't guarantee the history or how its been treated, thats the same with any used car. I know VW diesels are supposed to be long lasting but its got 100k before you start. Plus at that mileage and year you are probably going need a few jobs doing.

If you go for a 2009-10 car then you are stuck with the colour unless you search long enough to find what you want and the spec/extras you want. But it should be low mileage and still be covered by warranty.

Now I would never buy a new car as soon as you drive it of the forecourt you've just lost 2 grand. I only had one because of the scrappage scheme in the UK where they give you 2 grand for your car in any condition providing its road worthy/legal. So where else am I going to get 2 grand for a 17 old Rover 216 GTi? Though there wasn't anything wrong with it at all.

The choice its yours? ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts