VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am dong my TB today, and have to ask some questions before final engine start.
I tried to use the TB tensioner tool that looks like a triangle, but something is telling me that I am not doing something right. I tried to copy the same position of the tensioner from the instructions on this forum, and tried to insert the tensioner "triangle" tool into the small hole but it does not go in to the end. maybe only 3-5mm. If someone can explain me how to install this tensioner. I finally installed it somehow and adjusted the marking needle where is supposed to be, then tightened the 15mm nut. Then when I turned the crankshaft bolt by hand I noticed that the tensioner needle is moving. Sometimes the needle is within the window, and sometimes is outside the window by 1-2 mm. I assume that is the way it is supposed to work, but need confirmation from you guys with more experience. Right now I am concerned that the tensioner is not installed right since I did not use the tool for anything. I need to know how and when I am supposed to insert this triangle tool into the tensioner and when the tool need to be removed? Also when the TB was installed it was in the middle of all the sprockets now, after i turned the engine several times by hand the belt moved almost all the way to the engine. I assume this is OK. but don't remember that the belt was like that when I was removing it. Thank you for all your help in advance and for taking time to read this.

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BEW 1.9 tdi jetta 2005 mk4 T10115 is the "triangle tool" also thank you for all your help.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I think the triangle tool gives a little bit more slack when installing the belt but it's still too tight to put the belt on easily. You're supposed to insert the triangle and then loosen the tensioner all way. When the belt is on, remove the tensioner. It's a lot easier to just slip it over a loose camshaft sprocket.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts