VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 2 of 16 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been studying the configuration of both of these cars as a possible next purchase. I'm trying to balance environmental awareness (high mpg clean diesel) with practicality (hatch or wagon), affordability ($25K or less), and driving enjoyment. Since my pledge to myself was that my next new car would get 40+ mpg, these criteria leave me with only two choices for the next couple of years: the 2010 Golf TDI or the 2010/11 Jetta Sportwagen (the Prius and Insight lose out on driving enjoyment). Since the car will also be for my wife I am limited to the DSG option for the tranny.

I'd like other people's opinions on the comparative advantages and disadvantages of each. Right now I'm leaning towards the the Golf TDI because of the new chassis (quieter, better road manners), more affordability, and a 300 lb. weight advantage over the Jetta. But the Jetta offers a lot more cargo space, 67 cu.ft. vs. 46 cu.ft.

Given the decreased weight and the same powertrain, I would expect the Golf to get better mileage and to be more frisky on the road, especially with the tighter chassis. Also, the Golf comes standard with 17" wheels (16" standard on the Jetta), and a sport suspension is standard on the Golf but not on the Jetta. I'm thinking that a relatively inexpensive modification like thicker swaybars could give the Golf even a greater driving advantage over the Jetta.

The Golf also comes with an improved standard audio system, and standard cloth seats (which I prefer over the vinyl in the Jetta). The new steering wheel for the Golf looks to be an improvement over the MkV Jetta.

One disadvantage for the new MkVI Golf is that it is a new version and subject to the usual glitches associated with new iterations.

Question: Will the Golf come standard with sport seats?

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read your article, "Redesign and differences between the 2009 and new 2010 Jetta Golf TDI". Is that the one you refer to, or is there another? I didn't see any mention of a comparison of drag coefficients. Personally, I'm interested in a car that has an emphasis on performance options and not on "features". Sounds like a more affordable Golf TDI that is already sport-oriented and with an easily modifiable suspension is the way I will go. (And waiting for the day when the engine will be tunable as well.)

BTW, I did an informal comparo between the Golf TDI and the MINI Clubman. It is an interesting comparison, but I'm still prone to go with the Golf. For one thing I think the MINI's interior would bug the hell out of me.

1 - 2 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.