VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, Hoping for some help???

I have a 2004 Jetta TDI and in July received and letter from VW about an Emmissions Service Action (28E6/R8) Due for my car ( ECM Software upgrade and Glow Plug Replacement..... I took the car in and got the service letter done....

Ever since I have had a starting problem and as the weather gets colder it gets worse, My assumption is the GLow Plugs are not warming up enough but as the colder weather comes i really dont know what to do??????

Any Ideas????

·
Registered
159 Posts
I think the Glow plug recall has been suspended, nobody knows why, but it's good you got it done because the new style glow plugs work better. It's not the glow plugs causing your problem unless the dealer left the wires unplugged. It's probably a bad coolant temp sensor, common problem. The coolant temp sensor tells the glow plugs how long to glow, if it's bad they don't think it's cold and don't glow.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
This won't throw an error code either. You need a VCDS scan tool to see the temperature. The other way is to unplug the coolant temp sensor electrical plug. This will put the glow plugs on "max". If starting is now easy, you found your problem. When you pull the sensor out you'll lose coolant so look through the FAQ for notes on refilling coolant. You can't use the green Prestone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The recall has been suspended because of the software problem. Aparently they have to update software in the ECU after glow plug swap and the new software isn't working properly. That is what I was told by VW service technician.

·
Registered
23 Posts
28E6 R8 Performed - Loss of VNT Response

I had 28E6 R8 performed at 60K service last summer. Interesting that service department dinged me for a bad coolant sensor (sensor had be replaced at 24k under warranty)

I was pissed that service department damaged glow plug harness during recall work (engine heat makes the harness brittle to the touch) and stuck me with the bill to pay for that part replacement. I opened ticket with VWOA only to receive a letter noting that harness wasn't covered under 28E6 R8 program.

Biggest problem I have noticed after 28E6 R8 ECU re-flash is that the variable pitch turbo turbine doesn't response as quickly as before the re-flash. (I am told it is electronically controlled in the 2004-2005.5 PD motors) I noticed a lag in power response and this was confirmed by a discussion with a trusted VW technician that this loss of power (known problem with the recall) mileage reduction along with cold starting problems halted the recall.

Is VW working on a recall ECU re-flash or leaving us as chumps to fish for a solution on the aftermarket? I am NOT impressed with VWOA and their [email protected] dealer network.

Great car - lousy dealer service and American distributor network. Great Forum!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Vote in the Poll to add one more data point. The harness should be covered by the dealer - they broke it, they buy it.

All turbos are electronically controlled by a solenoid which controls vacuum "power" to the turbo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts