VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on replacing my springs and struts. I would also like to get a little extra clearance via an extra inch or two of lift while I'm working on the suspension. Has anyone used the "universal" coil spring spacers that are available from most auto parts suppliers? They are relatively cheap and the metalnerd kits don't apply to my 98 jetta. I imagine the spacer would sit on the strut with the spring on top of it.

Here's one on Jeg's: http://www.jegs.com/i/Mr-Gasket/720/1287/10002/-1

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
No but I'm not a huge fan of lift kits because the change the suspension geometry and wear the springs. I read somewhere that bilstein struts raise the car by about 5mm because the spring seat is a little higher than stock. Maybe this is to compensate for worn, sagging springs. You could also try taller tires and wheels to raise the car a little. However, a half inch is easy with bigger tires/wheels, a full inch and your tires would look like your Jetta was about to go on a mud run.

·
Registered
89 Posts
One says that it's for the rear. "Designed to be installed between the coils" The one at the bottom says "Fits into Coil, H-Cross Section ". I sounds like you stuff it between the coils to stretch it out and prevent it from compressing. It sounds like it'd be a real pain to install. Some springs for a heavier car would lift the car too because they don't have to support as much weight. You could try custom springs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm replacing the rear springs with Moog cargo coil springs and I'm getting a Blauparts strut kit. I'm also planning to eventually add larger tires to lower rpm at highway speed. According to the tire calculator I can drop two or three hundred rpms with some taller tires and as you say, gain some clearance. I'm not too worried about the appearance, it just seems to me that a taller car is less likely to damage it's underbits on debri or rough roads where ever you're driving. There might be a belly pan in the future as well. Can you elaborate on the "suspension geometry" issues involved with lifting an Mk3 1"? Is spring wear more rapid? Thanks, I appreciate your knowledgeable opinion and/or criticism.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
The springs are worn whenever they are used. This includes aging from the weight of the car sitting on them. Compressing them with a lift kit also wears them out. People who take springs out after installing a lift kit find that they are shorter.

I don't know much about suspension design but the angle of the suspension arms is best within a certain range. Too high or too low and it doesn't work as well as it's designed to work. I haven't read it all but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_(vehicle) wikipedia may have a better technical description of how it's supposed to work.

·
Registered
27 Posts
coil spring lifting

the problem with rubber inserts inside of springs is when the spring is fully extended it is possible for the rubber part to get twisted or pop out... I've used these before on the back of an old chevy wagon, not the kind linked above (mr. gasket), but just a chunk of rubber inserted in... I think the mr. gasket insert would work well, it will compress, but add a little bit of spring and may stay in the spring upon full extension.

the spacers that metal nerd sells are pretty common for lifting jeeps with coil springs, I've used them to get 2-3" on xj's, they also work on tj, wj, and zj's... I've never bothered to realign my front end
afterwards and never had any issues, but then again the jeeps are live axles and we're dealing with ifs.

I may try the mr. gasket inserts to give a little more lift to my wagon and they'll also add a little bit more capacity to the springs...

I'm still thinking setting this thing up with full bash plates, a nerf bar in the front and sides and a lift... the only problem is I know that if I ever get into any kind of serious off-road situations that it'll be totally useless and quite embarrassing... :)

FWIW, I've hit my Panzer plate twice since installing, which was right after replacing the oil pan,
and the curb I hit has really been battered, I'm not the only one that's been impaled upon it. I wonder if I could have any recourse by complaining to the county... :) I hit a pot hole once with one of my caddy's, cracked the lower arm, bent the rim... they paid for it... took a while, but they did.

·
Registered
37 Posts
From what I have heard a spacer under the spring is a 3 to 1 ratio. 1/4 inch will get you 3/4 lift.

If you change ride height, either higher of lower it changes the angle, and thus the length of the axles and I have seen them pop out of the inner cv joint due to extremes.

Your alinement angles will also change and need to be adjusted to any height change. Bump steer will also be affected, especially if you alter wheel ofset too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts