VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I am retrofitting an RNS 315 nav unit into a 2011 JSW Sportwagen (replacing the RCD 510). Does anyone know the correct coding for this? The VW service department I am using could not find it.
Thanks very much!

·
Premium Member
9,654 Posts
Are you talking about the radio coding or VCDS coding?

If you're retrofitting it doesn't it come with a manual? ;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
It's the same as the rns 510 as far as coding. It's pretty much plug and play, just need to enable the navigaition to get the info in the MFD.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you talking about the radio coding or VCDS coding?

If you're retrofitting it doesn't it come with a manual? ;)
Hi Keith- thanks for your reply. As you can tell I'm a total novice at all this. Isn't there some code that the dealer adds to the car's computer to get a new component to be properly recognized by the car's system? There was no manual or instructions of any kind in the VW box the RNS 315 came in. There was only a small schematic of the connections that was glued to the back of the machine. This was definitely the way it comes from VW.

I have the anti-theft code, that's not what the dealer seems to need. He's looking for the code that gets the RNS 315 to operate properly withthecar.

As for a user manual. Hah! I had to buy that from The VW literature vendor for $17.

Thanks again for your reply,
Henry

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's the same as the rns 510 as far as coding. It's pretty much plug and play, just need to enable the navigaition to get the info in the MFD.
Thanks! I think that's what the dealer used. They just weren't sure it was the right thing to do since there were no instructions of any kind with the unit.

·
Premium Member
9,654 Posts
I think there should be a radio code that you have to enter in so the ecu can mate it to your system you will probably need VCDS for that. ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think there should be a radio code that you have to enter in so the ecu can mate it to your system you will probably need VCDS for that. ;)
Yes, think that's what the dealer was trying to find but could not find a code that was specific to the RNS 315 and the JSW. I am new to all this. Do dealers use the VCDS too or is that just for consumers? And do you have any idea what I tell them to look for?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
76 Posts
when it starts and asks for the code at first run, it mates with the ecu, and the code is stored.

Mkae sure they gave you the card or told you the code for it if you ever need to sell it you will need it. Once it's paired with your car, unless you replace the ecu you'll never need the code again.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
when it starts and asks for the code at first run, it mates with the ecu, and the code is stored.

Mkae sure they gave you the card or told you the code for it if you ever need to sell it you will need it. Once it's paired with your car, unless you replace the ecu you'll never need the code again.
The dealer already gave me the anti-theft code. What they're looking for is the code to make the whole thing work properly in a JSW TDI. They had to call VW Tech Support for it. Apparently this is uncharted territory for VW. VW is still working on it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
76 Posts
its the same as a rns 510. just enable navigation in the can gateway. disable position sensing and pull the old compass module. once you do that you have to "reboot" the HU and power cycle the ignition for it to work.

if they cant get it, let me know im sorta local i have a vcds ill code it for you in 5 minutes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes, our current release includes coding information for the RNS-315. If you find someone in your local area they can do this for you.

I'll also note the newer RNS-315 "Address 56 - Radio" does not communicate with a scan tool. Use Address 37-Navigation (J794) instead.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts