VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi-

I've just spent $900+ to get our Jetta '01 TDI clutch replaced. I got a valeo 06A105265 clutch kit and my mechanic installed it. The mechanic did say that a spring was broken in the old clutch. We got it back but it still won't go into gear.

Does anyone have any tips about what might be wrong? He's talking about it needing a new transmission now. I had heard from the VW dealer that the synchro may be bad.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
No unusual problems that I can think of. Did he replace the flywheel? What else was replaced?

Just going from a fresh sheet of paper - possible problems:

Slave cylinder is leaky or there's air in the clutch hydraulic line - since he's a professional mechanic this is unlikely but if he didn't check it then it's a possibility. If the shifter works fine when the engine is off but won't go into gear when the engine is running then this is a possibility.

If it won't go into gear with the engine on or off then something is wrong with the shifter - if it worked before then it should work now. Did it work fine before? Look under the hood and at the driver's side. Look at the transmission and have someone inside the car move the shifter into gear. The shifter on the transmission should move. If you see any loose bolts or if the cable is flopping back and forth, the shifter assembly was not put back correctly or is broken.

Clutch fork was not installed properly - again, I don't think a pro mechanic would screw up but it's possible. The clutch fork is what releases the clutch when you press on the pedal.

If you had the same problem before and nothing changed, then it's possible something in the transmission is worn out. These transmissions are pretty cheap but get a second opinion first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help. He put in the clutch kit which included a new solid flywheel, disc, pressure plate, throw-out bearing. That's all.

It's having the same problem as it had before he installed the clutch kit.

Any other thoughts?

I will check with him on:
*the slave cylinder and hydraulics.
*shifter

Lastly, if it is the transmission, do you have a good cheap source? Thanks again.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Try adjusting the shifter - dieselgeek has a good pic and instructions - it's this thing. He also has installation instructions for the short shifter - it has tips on adjustment : http://www.dieselgeek.com/sigmafiveinstall.htm . You probably have high mileage and the shifter is cables and rubber bushings. These can only last so long before wearing out. If the problem got worse and worse then this is possible. If the problem came suddenly then maybe a clutch spring popped out and jammed something. Like CC said, if you can't shift with engine on or off then it's probably the shifter. The trans forks should last a long time.

Since you have to remove the shifter and slave cylinder to replace the clutch, it's also possible that these got messed up during removal. Have someone shift while you inspect it's movement.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Thanks for your help. He put in the clutch kit which included a new solid flywheel, disc, pressure plate, throw-out bearing. That's all.

It's having the same problem as it had before he installed the clutch kit.

Any other thoughts?

I will check with him on:
*the slave cylinder and hydraulics.
*shifter

Lastly, if it is the transmission, do you have a good cheap source? Thanks again.
Your local auto recycler aka. the junkyard will have as good a chance of a good cheap used transmission as any other place. Just make sure it's a diesel. The gas gear ratios are all wrong. Although there were some minor changes, any mk4 transmission will bolt up and will work.

Again, not just the shifter, the shifter adjustment.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any update on this problem? Sound's a lot like what is happening to me - all of the gates on the shifter are closed when the car is moving. Once the car is at a complete stop I can engage 1st (and all other gears for that matter, except 5th). Also, if I engage 1st, engage the clutch, move forward and bit then suddenly depress the clutch I can hear what sounds like a synchro winding down (slowing it's rotation). It's loud enough to be head from the drivers seat with the window open and it wasn't like this before last week.

Any update would be greatly appreciated, even if it was a long time ago...

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just installed a clutch kit on my 2004 Jetta tdi, everything went pretty smooth but my car wont go in gear with the engine running. It's shifting ok when the engine is not running. I can start the engine with the transmission in gear, but I can tell that the clutch does not fully disengage ( The car wants to move). I am guessing that the hydraulic system needs bleeding. I will try it today. Any ideas?? Need help.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
You need to check to see if the transmission shifter shaft (going into transmission) is moving when the shift lever is moved. If they don't move together the splines on the shaft or the lever have been stripped allowing them to move independently. This can happen if the clutch is going bad and excessive force is used to shift when clutch is not fully disengaged. The shift lever is about $48 from dealer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts