VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2001 golf manual trans clutch will not engage. I bled the system,no help. replaced master and slave cylinder and bled again. still no help. Could there be a problem with the fork or throw out bearing? any help is appriciated.

Thanks Phil

2001 golf tdi
81 diesel caddy

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
When you press the clutch, do you feel resistance?

How does the slave cylinder move when you press the clutch pedal?

It's possible the fork has cracked and bent.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
A friend of mine had a lot of bother bleeding his clutch on his audi and ended up bleeding it in reverse or something. He certainly got it working anyway but I can't remember exactly how he did it and it was some time ago now.:)
I would think it would push out with it disconnected anyway but what's it like connected? Is there nobody to push the clutch for you while you watch to see what's happening?

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I removed the slave and measured the distance to the fork. the slave was extending all the way out. started car and pressed in on the fork.the throw out bearing is shot! no noise before this. so dont assume,like me, that you have a problem with bleeding the system. I have a new timken bearing on order.
thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Late reply....sold car by now?

If your clutch "wont engage", that tells me that no matter what you do with the hydaulics, the car will not move, when the pedal is released (up) and the car is in gear, engine running. The hydaulics merely "release" the clutch disc from contacting the flywheel, thus separating the rotational force from the engine, from turning the transaxle gearing. With the shifter in gear...any gear but nuetral....the car will move while running the engine, if, in fact, your clutch is "engaging". If, in fact the clutch "won't engage" when you release the pedal (engine running)...you may need to face the fact, that your clutch disc material, may no longer be there. Trans pulling time...will look like a cat wadded up in your bell housing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts