VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have this too, and also grabby clutch, doesn't stall for me, just "grabby" and seems to "skip" if let out too fast.. and it just vibrates in general... sigh

Well, I can reduce it by letting off the throttle, wait a split second before pushing on the clutch, my guess is since diesel doesn't have a throttle plate, the compression stroke slows down the engine alot (super high compression, since the turbo would be pushing alot of air at higher RPMs), and the expansion stroke returns the velocity, so it produces alot more vibration than gasoline engine, so waiting a split second lets the turbo spool down and reduce the effect a bit... just a though.

All my gasoline cars did this to SOME extent if I de-clutch without letting off the throttle first, it usually gets better as the throw out bearings smooths out on the guide tube a bit, once you put 10-20k on it, it's usually not detectable, I don't know if this will be the case for this diesel, I doubt it, but my fingers are crossed.

Oh also, apparently some rocking is allowed in DMFs, so that will translate to axial displacements in the release bearing. So... in a way, I guess it's kind of "normal"? But still annoys the crap out of me...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd say it's normal. I feel the engine vibration through the pedal when pressed slightly and it goes as you depress further. Don't notice it when changing gear though, just when my foot it resting on the clutch when in neutral.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My mk5 does it, its had a valeo solid mass flywheel conversion
So it could just be vibration from the clutch it's self,
Is it possibly that the thrust bearing is worn so the fork has some slight
Play in it and is vibrating with the clutch and this travels through the slave upto
The master cylinder...that's one theory at least

Mk4's did use a dual mass flywheel,

·
Registered
130 Posts
Since the brakes and clutch use the same reservoir,I wonder if you could feel it in the brake pedal too
Obviously it would feel alot less jittery because it's a separate system apart from the reservoir

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well if I may, I would like to inform you and perhaps get someone opinion on this issue. I for one have experienced the dreaded clutch pulsation since I purchased my passat 7 months ago.

I have been driving standard vehicles all my life its all I drive in which the greater part of my driving experience was in Boston with stop and go traffic. I moved to NC 9 years ago still driving a 5 speed with original clutch. My wife who as well is very proficient in driving a 5 speed, informed me that after our first week of ownership she had difficulty getting the car in first gear (of course I did not believe her which I should).

I thought this strange because every time I drove, I never experienced any issues. However this issue continued to surface with her and she chose not to disclose it to me, thinking I would again blame her (she was right.) However the frequency coupled with the vibration became more pronounced now had me questioning her concerns.

She had indicated that on a few occasions the transmission would pop out of gear, well this was odd I thought. Nonetheless the last few days that have passed, found her stranded at various lights unable to shift into first, second, third gear. She eventually was able to really persuade it to go into gear as she limped home in second not wanting to take it out of gear for fear would she would be unable to shift it again.

By the time I got home, I was ready to drive to the dealer and I was unable to get the car in first, second nor reverse. I too had to man handle and finally was able to get it into gear.

As I approached lights, I realized that I needed to leave my foot on the clutch to the floor for fear I would not succeed in getting it back into gear. However in so doing the car, while at a light and foot depressed to the floor wanted to stall badly. Well again this too was very odd.

Well I limped to the dealer hazards on in second gear, got out left motor running had service advisor come out and asked me "What's wrong". I told him try to move it, he was unable to put into any of the gears he felt that the clutch was gone. I stated is this not odd for a car with only 13000 mile on it, he just smiled and said this can happen inferring that perhaps these things are equated to driver error.

Well the techs looked at this and disassemble the transmission because further investigation was needed of course, coupled with the fact that the service advisor said they would work with me due to the fact that this was early mileage for a clutch to go. They would submit pictures to VW for review and make determination where the fault lies.

I had not received any calls from the dealer, so I decided yesterday to go down and retrieve something from the trunk of the car, I found it on a lift in the air with fender engine hoist, and transmission on the floor. So I asked to talk with the Techs, to see if they could show me the the clutch components well here is what I found.

Please tell me what you think? and What do think VW is going to do about this one?. Oh wait till I tell you wha the techs told me next.

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Since the brakes and clutch use the same reservoir,I wonder if you could feel it in the brake pedal too
No the brake pedal doesn't vibrate only the clutch pedal.

gslave - that clutch centre plate is completely knackered so I would have thought you should get it replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well I concur, the techs I talked with admittedly stated this has happen with vehicles that have had 1000, miles on them some with even 100 mile on them where customers have gone for a test drive only to be towed back and have the clutch replaced.

They stated this after I questioned them regarding the statement that they made which was "we have ordered and updated part from VW, which I in turn stated that implies foreknowledge of this being an issue, hence the earlier statement above regarding other VW clutch failures.

Now the fight is whether the fly wheel and release bearing get replaced as well due the mechanical failure and possible subsequent sustained damage of these components.

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
Not sure why; Sachs is a German manufacturer ;)

Your shocks/struts are Sachs as well.

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
The dealer says its normal, but I tried a new Golf GTD and that was perfect. If I had know a few things before ordering my new car like Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) and Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) I wouldn't touched a VW.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Probably the fork bumping against the release bearing, vibration transmitted down the brake fluid into the pedal assembly. Liquid can carry vibration tool especially if it's compressed and under pressure, ie, even gently testing your foot on the assembly, the pressure created is surprisingly tremendous.

Normal.

Sent from my S-Off'ed HTC One...

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Probably the fork bumping against the release bearing, vibration transmitted down the brake fluid into the pedal assembly. Liquid can carry vibration tool especially if it's compressed and under pressure, ie, even gently testing your foot on the assembly, the pressure created is surprisingly tremendous.

Normal.
:BS

·
Premium Member
912 Posts
Mine does too; but that doesn't make it "normal"

·
Registered
1 Posts
Welcome to the forum jacques. welcometomyturbodies

Thats similar but you should feel it without driving just resting you foot on the clutch pedal.
hi Keith I am having the same issue not sure if you can help me. Got a audi q3 from audi and the pedal for the clutch had vibration but very bad so took it back in they said faulty clutch and flywheel so they changed it and 4 weeks later I can feel it soon as I rest my foot on the pedal in neutral with engine on. Took it back and they said it's normal. So I booked to see another audi dealer as its under warranty to get a second opinion

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
hi Keith I am having the same issue not sure if you can help me. Got a audi q3 from audi and the pedal for the clutch had vibration but very bad so took it back in they said faulty clutch and flywheel so they changed it and 4 weeks later I can feel it soon as I rest my foot on the pedal in neutral with engine on. Took it back and they said it's normal. So I booked to see another audi dealer as its under warranty to get a second opinion
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

This is a new forum layout which is owned by a company last year that doesn't give a dam with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or original similes which they refuse to install. It doesn't show the car spec/location.

Add your car specs to your signature that will show on every post you make.

Car spec now shows not for all members.

Myturbodiesel moving on

Release Notes

We Are Live - Community Feedback

This has been talked about many times.

I've made a poll which no one has posted in, there are a few votes and comments.

Do you like the new forum features?

Wiki pages have been restored as of 7th December, I asked where is the link it should be on top of the main forum.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts