VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
I noticed the pulsing/vibrating when I test drove one. Pushing down on the clutch, not even at the disengagement point, I feel the pulsing. I turn to the sales guy and ask about it, and he says it's normal.

I purchased my TDI last night (different car from what I test drove), and noticed a very slight pulsing as well, but it was not as bad as the one I test drove. I'll check again to see at what point the pulsing starts on my car.

--Ryan

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'll check again to see at what point the pulsing starts on my car.

--Ryan
Okay, just drove it....

1. foot on clutch pedal, not pressing down = no vib
2. foot on clutch pedal, pressing down slightly (3/4") = no vib
3. foot on clutch pedal, pressing down to disengage point = vibration present.
4. foot on clutch pedal, pressing down even more = vibration present.
5. foot on clutch pedal, pressing down all the way = vibration present, but less noticeable.

Hope that helps, and I hope this is normal!

--Ryan

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Welcome to the forum Ryan. welcometomyturbodies
Okay, just drove it....

1. foot on clutch pedal, not pressing down = no vib
2. foot on clutch pedal, pressing down slightly (3/4") = no vib
3. foot on clutch pedal, pressing down to disengage point = vibration present.
4. foot on clutch pedal, pressing down even more = vibration present.
5. foot on clutch pedal, pressing down all the way = vibration present, but less noticeable.

Hope that helps, and I hope this is normal!

--Ryan
No thats not normal I would take yours back if I were you.

No yours is different to mine mine only pulsates at the top inch or so it disappears as the pedal goes down.

I went to the dealers last Monday I asked if they is now an update available for the digital gear indictor and he search through the computer and said no but I will go and have a word with the chief tech. He said no it was only fitted to the BlueMotion. He showed me all the options fitted to my car via the VIN number and there was nothing listed. I said replies on the forum say they asked their dealer about this option and they phoned Milton Keynes and there was a software update for this and as jamojdm says he took his in and when it came out he had this option. I just VW Stoke are a bunch of tossers.

While I was there I said I'm still not happy with the clutch pedal pulsating, show me another car that does the same if you say its common to that model. We found a new GTD in the lot and that did it very slightly but not as much as mine. The new GTD I tested last your didn't do it at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Keith,
I own a 2011 Golf TDI and my clutch pulses slightly when pressed to different depths. My car is currently at the dealer being painted due to some scratches, but ill definitely investigate further once i get it back. I thought it was a weird feeling clutch as my 04 Toyota Tacoma clutch was heavier but smooth and it had 150+ miles on it. I kinda passed it off as something unique to the car. Strange... This post scares me. :ugh

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yes it worries me as well. I'm a motor vehicle technician so I know how things operate and work and no clutch pedal should pulsate unless there is a problem. The demo I drove before ordering mine didn't do it if it did then I wouldn't have bought one. The new GTD I tried last year didn't do it.

I don't want it to go out of warranty then I have to pay £1,500 fo a new dual mass flywheel? What gets me is they say its a feature of that engine, ok they should ALL pulsate but some do and some don't.

·
Registered
4 Posts
OK so i have my car back now from the painters. My clutch pedal has no vibration when its fully extended out, and it has quite a bit of pulsing/vibration with little if any deviation from extended to depressed. When you reach the floor with it, the pulsing/vibrating goes away. I don't know if it matters but the shifter has no vibration at all during movement or when engaged/disengaged in a gear. When your idling the clutch has a more defined pulse, and when you're driving it is more chaotic vibration. I'm definitely bringing it to the dealers attention at my 10k service.

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
My clutch pedal has no vibration when its fully extended out, and it has quite a bit of pulsing/vibration with little if any deviation from extended to depressed.
Sorry thats the most confusing reply I've read?

It either pulsates when you rest your foot on the pedal or not at all?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sorry thats the most confusing reply I've read?

It either pulsates when you rest your foot on the pedal or not at all?
His symptoms describes how my clutch pedal behaves.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
I didn't notice it before but my clutch pedal also pulsates in the first inch or two of travel. It isn't really noticeable otherwise.

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I didn't notice it before but my clutch pedal also pulsates in the first inch or two of travel. It isn't really noticeable otherwise.
Ok thats the same as mine but I'm still not happy with it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Let me tweak my description a bit. No vibration/pulse at full extension or at the floor. The rest of the pedal travel has a defined pulse. It seems to be the same as a lot of described clutches. A pulse slower than engine rotation. It also becomes a less defined pulse during driving conditions while shifting. More like a vibration most likely due to the faster motion of the engine/transmission. Hope that's a better description.

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
No vibration/pulse at full extension or at the floor.
Well thats the same as last time?

Full extension means the pedal is at the top not being used?

Or at the floor is fully depressed and you get no vibration in either of these two positions so its not the same as mine?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Clutch pedal pulsating on Jetta TDI 2011

As you may notice, I am a newbie
Ihave a TDI 2011 with 2500 kms
I notice a pulsating or vibration on the clutch pedal when up shifting
This is highly noticable when the engine revs over 2500 rpm
I feel it when depressing the pedal and also when releasing it
The dealer brushed me off, saying a normal condition
i don't believe that for a second
Any body encountered that problem ??
Please help

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Welcome to the forum jacques. welcometomyturbodies

Thats similar but you should feel it without driving just resting you foot on the clutch pedal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
thanks for the reply
Actually, the pulsating is at half way down to all the way down to shif
Also on reverse, it is when I release the pedal
Does that make more sense ??
Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
No it doesn't make any sense what so ever. The dealer tells me thats normal on that model TDI as its the dual mass flywheel DMF pulsating, if its normal then they all should it and not some? I'm still not convinced its normal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Clutch Vibration/Clicking experienced in test drive model itself

Hi

Newbie here.

I live in India and I have just booked a Vento 2012 for delivery. I noticed the vibration in the test drive model itself and this issue was there in the Jetta manual too. Had a Honda City 2001 sedan prior to this for about 10 years and still love the drive ! Was a bit bothered about this facet (the vibration, more of a series of clicks as u press in to shift gears (or) as u drive at half-clutch without another option in city traffic)

My question is, Keith if you can answer or anyone else, has that led to major clutch plate problems after usage say for 2 or 3 years ?

Im still going forward with the Vento cos I love every other aspect of the drive (the gear shift is a delight) and the engineering of the car. Was also looking at the sunny but it lost out on power and on a smaller note the lack of importance given to the beautification of the car.

Getting the car in a week, any words of confidence/ advice asking me to go back on the decision would be good ! thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
I also feel a light vibration in the clutch pedal, as I press it to the floor, about 1/2in down, all the way to the floor. I also have a vibration in the gear shift knob, as I move it from left to right in N. I can only feel this vibration when moving it tough. If I move it part way then stop and hold it in that position, I don't feel anything.

I have a Golf TDI 140.

I also have other drivetrain issues though:

1. When engaging the clutch from a stop, there is a noticeable rubbing/pulsating noise. It is worse if I am engaging it on an incline, and not as noticeable, or not present when engaging while rolling. It happens both in 1st and R

2. My gear shift shakes in 2nd and 4th, about 50% of the time, when coasting in gear. If I press the go pedal when it is shaking, the shaking goes away as long as there is any throttle input. I can sometimes get it to go away by shifting into N, then back into 2nd. This happens between 2200rpm down to 1000rpm. It also happens in 4th gear, but isn’t as noticeable. This Shake/Vibration can vary from a slight vibration that can only be felt when you are touching the shift knob, to a violent front to back shake that can be seen and heard.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts