VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like this site. The tech articles are very well thought out and presented and have been invaluable in bring my car back from the dead (or near-dead). Now,I'll be needing a clutch soon on my '97 Passat. The car is lightly modified, with a K03 hybrid turbo, stage II chip and .205 nozzles.

I have read about people simply going to a VR6 clutch kit and winding up with gear rattle at idle due to the disc hub/spring design being different for a clutch designed for the gas engine - maybe stiffer- allowing the diesel harmonics to rattle the trans.

Anyway, I was wondering if there has been any experience with a good clutch upgrade for these cars that includes the stronger pressure plate but has the TDI specific disc/hub/spring design.
Here is what I have found:

MJM Autohaus sells a power clutch kit:
http://www.mjmautohaus.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=2_9_32_64_494_2000

This kit looks to contain a "upgraded" OEM disc which I guess has different lining material. Very expensive, and who knows if the disc is right otherwise.

Bora Parts has this kit on sale:
http://shopping.boraparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=222

I plan to use my stock flywheel, so its cheaper than the Power Clutch kit from MJM.

Trouble is, with all the cross referencing, cross application and consolidation that goes on in the auto parts world, its hard to know what you are getting. Ideally I'd like to get the stronger PP with the TDI disc, and am thinking I may have to go to the dealer and pay the premium for a disc.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
All the talk of rattling is only applicable to the mk4 and newer cars that originally had a DMF. You have a SMF so you should not notice any big difference. I put a vr6 on my 97 passat tdi and didn't notice any difference in idle noise. I did notice that the clutch pedal feel got lighter.

Check out the clutch FAQ for some helpful background info. Any 4 cyl VW flywheel will fit your car. The mjm autohaus power clutch will fit your flywheel. I would rate your car as medium modified. Is the current clutch slipping? If you roll into the power a little smoother it will smooth out the torque spike.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it's slipping. I can nurse it for awhile as you say, but it won't be too much longer until I have to do the job. I do realize that the failing dual mass set ups can be noisy which indicates impending doom, but I have also read several reports of VR6 clutches on the TDIs that rattled at idle- and the disc seems to be the culprit.

Having said that, my understanding (I've heard) is that the 96 and 97 Passats came with VR6 clutches from the factory, or at least the part numbers were the same. I don't believe the clutch has been changed in my car, and it does not make noise, so maybe the thing to do is pull it apart when the time comes and just see what I have in there. Good to hear you had good luck with your VR6 clutch though. Where did you get it?

VW went to the dual mass flywheel set up to solve the problem, so I could just install one of those. There is one that can hold against 275 lf/ft of torque, which is probably about 50 more than my modded 1z will ever put out...

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
I cant tell you what clutch is suitable for your car, but kermatdi sells several sachs & southbend products which will handle 275 torque. They can match it up

1 - 4 of 4 Posts