VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my clutch went to the floor on me today coming home from work
I assume I will need to replace the slave or master cylinder, which means dropping the transmission.
Is there any clutch upgrade that I should look into since I'm replacing it,or just go with OEM replacement..?.
Curious on options
Thanks
I have not owned a tdi prior so I'm a bit new to this world

I have a 2011 Jetta sportwagen tdi with a 6spd manual

·
Super Moderator
8,969 Posts
You could try and bleed the clutch hydraulics first. The clutch fluid comes on the brake master cylinder so make sure its topped up else you will be pushing air back in.

I'm not sure on the Jetta Sportwagen if you have to drop the transmission to get at the clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder. On my Golf you don't have to drop the transmission for the clutch master cylinder, but it isn't easy.

Any problems search TDI Wiki as that covers write ups and forum posts.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
Worth having someone work the clutch while you watch around the slave or slave pipework too, not sure on the newer car but on our older PD engined tdi cars the silly little clips for holding all together often failed causing a leak.

·
Super Moderator
8,969 Posts
Thanks for th input
On my 11 the slave cylinder is internal the master is on the firewall
The clutch slave cylinder isn't internal to the master cylinder, The slave cylinder is on the bell housing, look again.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Mine did the exact same thing this week. I replaced the master cylinder, it was good for 2 days, now it's down on the floor again. looks like I'll be pulling the transmission.

2011 tdi sportwagen 131k miles

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
Check the fluid level in your reservoir. The clutch and brakes share the same reservoir and if the level gets about 1 inch low or so the clutch will be sucking air into the clutch hydraulic circuit.

Notice on the side of the reservoir the clutch tap if fairly close to the top of the reservoir which is why the clutch can easily suck air and go to the floor if the level is even slightly low.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts