VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is some TDI specific information in there such as part numbers for the various clutch kit components and general clutch info on disk materials, resurfacing flywheels, and solid vs. dual mass flywheels.

http://myturbodiesel.com/1000q/clutchfaq.htm

I prefer to call it solid rather than single mass flywheel because it's easier to tell the difference between solid vs SMF and DMF, even though the solid flywheel isn't solid .... it has a starter ring that is squeezed on there. In fact, a poorly fit starter ring can slip, although this is rare, I can think of 1 case where it caused a clanking noise. In any case, check it out.

Any comments or errors, post them here.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know. Different cars use different fork and bushings, etc. This is for hydraulically operated diaphragm spring pressure plates.

IMO, if it's seeing hard use, maybe 400 ft lbs as a wild guess as when wear starts to increase signifignatly over stock? I know of one model that can get crankwalk past 700 hp levels but you are using an 900+ ft lb rated pressure plates with those. Basically, excess wear on the bearings lets the crank move more and more, lowering oil pressure and making the problem even worse.

The fork pivot can get worn down too, a chromoly pivot ball will help that. But then the fork might not stand up to the pressure and you just put wear on the fork instead of the pivot ball? There are so many factors that effect wear. Is the fork stamped steel or cast iron? etc.

I wouldn't worry about it in a TDI but just something to think about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts