VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a Golf TDI...still waiting for it and have no idea when I will get it. This will be my third VW. First was a 2003 GTI VR6. Current is a 2006 GTI. The 03 was the first car I ever had with climate control, and I hated driving my wife's car because I had to constantly fidget with the fan and temperature to be comfortable, in spite of the fact that it supposedly has climate control. The VW climate system is awesome in my opinion. I can go months and months without ever adjusting anything, and always be comfortable. I always said that I would never get a VW without it again, would pay a little extra for it. Unfortunately I was unable to get the climate control on the new TDI...it simply wasn't an option. So...a couple questions. First, how is the climate system in the new Golf? If you already have a TDI, do you find yourself making a lot of adjustments? Also, is there a way to upgrade it yourself, like many people do with headlight switches and things like that? I'm assuming not. Seems like it would be more complicated than that. Thanks for your help.

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I don't see how you could change it to climatronic because it's integrated into CANBUS so I don't know if the mk5 parts will work correctly, it would require at a minimum, removing the dashboard and redoing some wiring/installing climatronic motors and whatnot. The manual climate control is a knob and lever, the auto uses sensors and motors. While I bet someone could do it, it would be very difficult.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Automatic Climate Control

I assume you are talking about automatic climate control. Personally, I don't really like automatic climate control -- while it keeps the cabin temperature relatively constant, sometimes I prefer it a bit cooler, sometimes a bit warmer. I tend to favor constant flow of air rather than high airflow at start then slow down to a trickle after driving for some time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got my 2010 Golf TDI December 1st. winter weather here ranges between -10F and 40F. I do miss fully automatic climate control and a heated steering wheel from my BMW. In my TDI I have for the winter generally left all 3 climate controls at straight up, which is like 72 degrees, #2 fan speed and all air to windshield. I put my seat heater on and it warms up pretty fast. Never been uncomfortable. I'd Love a heated wheel, though. Otherwise the system has worked well with no button fiddling. Not sure why the A/C light comes on at such cold temps....maybe to more effectively defrost?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I noticed the A/C turning on too. I think it's just a standard defrost mechanism to pull moisture out of the air to also "defrost"/defog the inside. Kind of annoying in the winter but I understand why it's there I guess.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts