VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had chrome exhaust tips installed last week at my local dealership. I see lots of VW's out there with the same chrome exhaust tips, but they are no longer chrome. They are usually very dark in color, almost black. Does anyone have these chrome exhaust tips? and if so how do you keep them clean? Thanks!:dunno

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
The inside or the outside of the pipes? I'm told the new TDI have less black in the pipes than a Jetta 2.5L. When you see black exhaust pipes is it on a TDI?

·
Super Moderator
9,231 Posts
I think he's talking about the chrome on the outside going black. One of the mods is fitting these chrome tail pipes. Some say Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI FDC 610 001 tail pipes fit but they are a bit small at 50mm. They say you need 60mm pipes of which there are plenty on eBay.

Mine had chrome tail pipes as standard and mine don't go black I just wash them when I wash the car. You could use a light metal polish Autosol. ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
there are several good cleaners on the market find a good deagreaser and crome ploish every now and again and u should keep on shining .........

·
Registered
28 Posts
The inside or the outside of the pipes? I'm told the new TDI have less black in the pipes than a Jetta 2.5L. When you see black exhaust pipes is it on a TDI?
I have the Audi A3 TDI. I can definitely attest to the cleaner pipe than typical gasoline car. The A3 TDI comes with chrome exhaust tip. I have yet to clean the exhaust tip itself -- and they are still shiny without any black residue at all.

When I used to have a MINI Cooper S with a chrome exhaust tip, I used to clean and polish them with Mother's chrome wheel polish -- cleans them and shines them all in one step. Of course, with a gasoline car, it's pretty pointless. After a few days worth of driving, the exhaust tip is already starting to blacken.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had chrome exhaust tips installed last week at my local dealership. I see lots of VW's out there with the same chrome exhaust tips, but they are no longer chrome. They are usually very dark in color, almost black. Does anyone have these chrome exhaust tips? and if so how do you keep them clean? Thanks!
hi there.. i have also been thinking of getting chrome exhaust tips myself however due to the feedback and the concerns that i have been reading in such forums, like the one you just raised, i am beginning to think if i can maintain it. any tips on this?

·
Super Moderator
9,231 Posts
Welcome to the forum Adam. welcometomyturbodies
I'm not sure what tips you want Adam. The chrome tips are standard on mine and I just wash them when I wash the car, I've never needed to use any cleaner or polish on them and mine are still chrome.

You either like them and want some and don't mind a bit of cleaning or you don't like them.

Its not a shot of the pipes. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts