VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in finding out what the effect of re-tuning are on the mileage 'economy' of the TDI. I have a 2011 w/ DSG and Mark at Malone Tuning said that re-tuning my chip set should be result in my DSG not operating at it's highest performance and that the best thing to do would be to retune both the engine and the transmission. While I have heard great things about squeezing more performance out of these wonderful little engines I have not read anything about what effect this has on the mileage of TDIs. I understand that economy vs. performance involves trade-offs and that when someone is concerned with improving performance 'economy' generally gets thrown out the door for better numbers but I was wondering how much of a hit the mileage takes. Specifically, I would like to know what the effects are of an engine+transmission re-tune are on the mileage of any year Jetta.

Many thanks in advance for your responses.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I am interested in finding out what the effect of re-tuning are on the mileage 'economy' of the TDI. I have a 2011 w/ DSG and Mark at Malone Tuning said that re-tuning my chip set should be result in my DSG not operating at it's highest performance and that the best thing to do would be to retune both the engine and the transmission. While I have heard great things about squeezing more performance out of these wonderful little engines I have not read anything about what effect this has on the mileage of TDIs. I understand that economy vs. performance involves trade-offs and that when someone is concerned with improving performance 'economy' generally gets thrown out the door for better numbers but I was wondering how much of a hit the mileage takes. Specifically, I would like to know what the effects are of an engine+transmission re-tune are on the mileage of any year Jetta.

Many thanks in advance for your responses.
I can't say about the DSG, but my dad just got back from a road trip he took with his 2011 Golf TDI 2 door. It's a Malone Stage 1 and has the PDE downpipe and a cat-back. He went Houston to Toronto on 2 tanks. About the same on the return trip.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts