VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...

new here....posted over at *the other* place about the issue with the wifey's car.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=286357

i'm re-checking the cam tomorrow... to check for side-chamfer on the cam lobes...

then maybe the lift/runout of the cam....

i didn't notice anything at 1st...as far as real damage, or loss of chamfer...

What should i clean the area with to inspect the lifters???

i don't want to really use too much carb cleaner jaw drops

·
Registered
482 Posts
I wouldn't spray the lifters directly with cleaner. A rag with some carb cleaner on it should do. It's pretty hard to see them though. Look for sharp lobe tips. Clean them too. If they're sharp, their time is limited...

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Here is some more info for you to check out: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/multi/lowpowerfix.htm

Hitting the sewer drain could have broken a boost pipe. No air = poor running. Do a boost leak test as linked through the article. A video of an EGR pipe leak is in the boost leak video and it sounds similar.

i'm not sure how to bar (roll) the engine over... i could use the key, but that's not always accurate or easy to find the CL of the cam lobe...

There's no excessive wear that i can see...some staining? here and there.. no gouging, or flat spots that i noticed....
The best way to turn over the engine is using the large crankshaft center bolt. You could use a counterhold bar on the camshaft sprocket but some say it unnecessarily wears out the timing belt tensioner. See the timing belt article for pictures.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If hitting drains is going to be a habit you should invest in a skidplate. The oil pan is Al and if takes a hit it'll crack.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ah....let the car sit for 3 days, and pulled the valve cover again.

exh on cyl 3 is through the top of the lifter, and the lifter to the far right of the engine ( exh on cyl one? or intake? ) is getting concave....

cam looks horrid on these 2 lobes...

next step...cam removal... can i do this without special tools??

then, where to buy the cam??

thanks all!!!

Jay

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Nope, you need the special tools. They are listed in the writeup: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/camshaft-inspection-replace-VW-TDI.htm and sources to buy are also linked. Other sources are the dealer, worldimpex, or idparts.com. I don't see how you can safely counterhold the sprocket without one. I tried using a generic counterhold tool but the holes aren't right.

If you see it's getting concave it's already pretty bad. Are you saying that exhaust #3 is worn through the lifter so that there's a hole?

Replace it soon. After the camshaft is replaced, see if it fixes the bupping noise. If it's as bad as you say it should. If it's fixed, can I add the video to the article as an example of a bad pumpe duse camshaft lobe? It would be very helpful for others.

Also see the timing belt writeups for your car linked from the PD shaft replaced article. It makes sense to replace the timing belt, water pump, etc., while you're in there unless it was just changed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope, you need the special tools. They are listed in the writeup: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/camshaft-inspection-replace-VW-TDI.htm and sources to buy are also linked. Other sources are the dealer, worldimpex, or idparts.com. I don't see how you can safely counterhold the sprocket without one. I tried using a generic counterhold tool but the holes aren't right.

If you see it's getting concave it's already pretty bad. Are you saying that exhaust #3 is worn through the lifter so that there's a hole?

Replace it soon. After the camshaft is replaced, see if it fixes the bupping noise. If it's as bad as you say it should. If it's fixed, can I add the video to the article as an example of a bad pumpe duse camshaft lobe? It would be very helpful for others.

Also see the timing belt writeups for your car linked from the PD shaft replaced article. It makes sense to replace the timing belt, water pump, etc., while you're in there unless it was just changed.

Hey man,

sorry bout that...i DID NOT have the auto-reply feature for the posts...so was unaware of the replies!!! sorry bout that!

pics, vid? he!! yeah Glad to help.

i actually stopped working today so i could proceed with pics....

So, was this ever resolved? I can rent the cam bar and sprocket puller.
rent the cam bar? sprocket puller?? not sure what you mean?

I was going to make myself a tool to hold the cam sprocket, and also double as a flange holder for setting up gearsets.

J

1 - 10 of 10 Posts