VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

Check Right Front Side Light! Nuisance Fault

58K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  lukecorner584 
#1 ·
I do not have any problems with my lights. All lights are functional from a mere human's perspective. My car has developed this bad habit recently of displaying "Check Right Front Side Light!" fault any time I turn on the lights. This came up once or twice intermittently over the last couple years but recently happens every time. The following is my troubleshooting process I got nowhere with:

First I turned lights on and checked all front/side lights. All lights are functioning.

Next I removed both front/side assemblies (from bumper through wheel well. This was easier than I thought. 3 screws on each side out of the wheel liner and I could stick my hand it an press the clip in from the side light assy and the assy pops out of the bumper. I removed both bulbs and swapped sides. The problem did not follow the bulbs and the fault remained.

Next I removed the bulb from the left side and turned the ignition on as a sanity check on the faults. This yielded both Check Right Front Side Light AND Check Left Front Side Light. Ok good, I expected the Left side to come up now.

Then I hooked up the VCDS (VAG COM). I opened 09 Cent. Elect and saw the faults listed. I had the greatest of hopes that there was some intermittent connection problem and after accumulating enough times it would make the light come up and persist even if the light was functioning. This didn't pan out. I cleared all the faults, which made the light warning light and the warning disappear. Within 10 seconds or so, the fault reappeared! Every time I would clear the fault, it would show right back up even though there is no problem with the lights! The following is fault readout from VCDS:

Address 09: Cent. Elect. Labels: 1K0-937-08x-09.clb
Control Module Part Number: 1K0 937 087 G HW: 1K0 937 087 G
Component and/or Version: BCM PQ35 H+ 103 0576
Software Coding: 6F180A3A98252A04808800812000890445050086534D8160648020200000
Work Shop Code: WSC 22142 444 85921
VCID: 354FC4509C36CFB6781-8060
1 Fault Found:

02395 - Parking Light Front Right (M3)
014 - Defective
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01101110
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 115
Mileage: 188804 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2050.14.07
Time: 20:12:03

Freeze Frame:
Term 15 On
Voltage: 12.20 V
ON
ON
Term 50 Off
OFF
OFF

I then went into the measuring blocks in hopes to find some sort of information on the side lights that could clue me in on a problem. The only thing I found was Group 41 where both front parking lights showed 99.6% and would cycle with the switch.

I'm stumped. Why does my car think there is a problem when there clearly is no problem? Help!

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Speedometer Gauge

Text Software Computer icon Screenshot Technology

See less See more
#3 ·
Problem Solved!

I replaced both left and right parking lamp bulbs from the parking lights in the bumper. Fault did not go away.

When I turned on my headlights without the ignition on, my xenons were off and I found the additional parking lights in the headlight housing itself. Sure enough, right side the little accent light was out. Opening up the headlight, you can see a big handle. At first, I thought this was some manual lever for the automatic leveling lights and didn't touch it. After looking at an online service manual, I saw that was actually just a handle to pull out the little blue peanut light that was burnt out.

While replacing the light, of course I accidentally dropped it into the engine bay. I couldn't believe it fell between the radiator and the radiator fan. Sigh. Lucky I grew up playing the game Operation. I took an old dipstick and wrapped the end in packaging tape and snaked it between the fan blades and somehow stuck the light and lifted it out.

Installed the light and fault never showed back up. This should have been a lot easier to solve but with as bright as the xenons are, I can barely look at the lights without squinting, nevermind see this little accent light. Learn from my mistake. The fault is the same for this accent light as it is for the true parking light on the bumper. If you get a "Check Right/Left Front Side Light" fault, check these lights as well.

Pictures explain it all...

Vehicle Headlamp Automotive lighting Car Automotive design

Headlamp White Automotive lighting Black Vehicle

Auto part Vehicle Car
Automotive design Auto part Illustration Hood Fictional character
Black Automotive lighting Light Automotive design Headlamp

#4 ·
Hello ,
Have you fixed this problem? I have something like you :"check front left side light" I've made a test with VCDS and I've got this error:
5898 - Bulb for Rear Left Side Turn Signal
B12D0 15 [009] - Open or Short to Plus
Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Reset counter: 211
Mileage: 137467 km
Date: 2020.01.07
Time: 14:00:49
And i have an old error: Fault Vehicle Lighting...

#5 · (Edited)
Hello ,
Have you fixed this problem? I have something like you :"check front left side light" I've made a test with VCDS and I've got this error:
5898 - Bulb for Rear Left Side Turn Signal
B12D0 15 [009] - Open or Short to Plus
Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Reset counter: 211
Mileage: 137467 km
Date: 2020.01.07
Time: 14:00:49
And i have an old error: Fault Vehicle Lighting...
First posts normally go in introductions else you could get a free fix and we never see you again!!!

Forum Rules and Guidelines

This is a new forum layout with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or original similes. It doesn't show the car spec/location or signature properly either

We Are Live - Community Feedback

This has been talked about many times.

I've made a poll which no one has posted in, there are a few votes and comments.

Do you like the new forum features?

Wiki pages have been restored as of 7th December, I asked where is the link it should be on top of the main forum.

VAG Error Code: 5898

EOBD II Error Code: B12D0

Fault Location:
Bulb for Rear Left Side Turn Signal - Open Circuit/Short Circuit to Positive

Possible Cause:
Bulb for Rear Left Side Turn Signal does not illuminate.

Fuse(s).
Wiring/Connector(s).
Failed or incorrect bulb installed.

Possible Solutions:
Check/Replace Fuse(s).
Check/Replace all faulty Wiring/Connector(s).
Verify correct light bulbs are installed.
Test wiring harness, see factory repair manual.

As taken from my new Free EOBD II Error Codes software

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.