VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 04 Passat TDI seems to be missing the diagnosis light in the dash, won't pass smog here with out it working.
Any DIY articles on bulb replacement, dash removal, ECL light repair out there?
scanned the car, only code was for the lock up torque converter . . . hopefully all else is good . . .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, Great site.
Yes, The light fails to light in test mode. (ign sw in run pos, engine off)
I think the check light was probably disconnected by the seller . . . I failed to look for it when I bought it the car. . . . I know, I know . . .
I need to figure out the most likely method an unscrupulous person would use to disconnect it?
Or where I might find an electrical schematic for the car?
I’ve been looking for service/maintenance books on this car without much luck.
Scanning it pulls up a P0741 (torque converter clutch circuit) ?
Not much reference material out there on the TDIs.
Help there will be greatly appreciated!
I hate driving around with a red “failed” sticker on my windshield.

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
It's hard to disconnect an LED unless you wick the solder off, can you take a picture of what lights come on and post it here just to make sure there is not some mistake?

(edit: might not be an LED but I think it is)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try to post a couple pictures, one of my car dash and a picture out of my owners manual.
My book shows #19 the (MIL) light in the lower left of the speedo, right under #20 Anti-slip.
and you'll see nothing on my dash lit up there.
[/ATTACH]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
I just double checked mine and the MIL (malfunction indicator light/ CEL) and the battery light stay on.

It appears your MIL is not working. The problem with swapping instrument clusters is getting around the immobilizer. You need hacking tools to get the SKC and a ross tech VCDS to input it and program the new immobilizer. You could also delete the immobilizer system by chip flashing the ECU. If I were you, I'd delete it since cars aren't getting jacked in my neighborhood and the chip flash really makes the car more fun to drive without any significant mpg penalty unless you are using that extra power. It would have to be specially requested during the chip flash.

It could be a replaceable bulb but it's most likely an LED. I haven't checked but it's worth a try taking your cluster out and checking.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
can't beleave it, but I pulled the dash and found black tape covering the malfunction indicator light.
light is working correctly now, comes on in test and shuts off after the engine starts.
thinks for the help . . .

·
Premium Member
9,675 Posts
Nice find, I must have annoyed someone at some time?

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
How did you resolve the P0741 code?

I have one as well and think it is the torque converter. I am trying to remove the tranny, but need more information about housing bolt removal etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Ron

2005 Passat tdi 135K

·
Premium Member
9,675 Posts
VAG Error Code: 17125
EOBD II Error Code: P0741

Fault Location:
Torque converter clutch (TCC) solenoid - Performance or stuck off/No power being transferred

Possible Cause:
Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) Level not OK.
Transmission Sealing faulty.
Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) dirty.
Torque Converter faulty or incorrect Torque Converter installed.
Solenoid Valve 7 (N94)/Pressure Regulating Valve 4 (N218) faulty.
Torque Converter Pressure Valve faulty.
Valve for Torque Converter Clutch faulty.
Torque Converter Lock-Up Clutch faulty/worn out.

Possible Solutions:
Check Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) Level.
Check Transmission Sealing.
Check Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF).
Check Torque Converter.
Check Solenoid Valve 7 (N94)/Pressure Regulating Valve 4 (N218).
Check Torque Converter Pressure Valve.
Check Valve for Torque Converter Clutch.
Check Torque Converter Lock-Up Clutch.

Special Notes:
When found in VW Passat (3B): 5-Speed Automatic Transmission (01V), check Transmission Sealing (see TPL 2009761).
The NAR (North American Region) TSB 01-07-22 or 2011908 should contain similar information about the internal torque converter seal failure.
When found in the NAR (North American Region) Audi vehicles with the 01V/01L family transmission check for similar torque converter failure issues explained in TSB 32-07-02 or 2010879/10.

As taken from my http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f9/free-eobd-ii-error-codes-software-2919/ updated version.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts