VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

Change Timing belt or just check it?

13K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  aikidork 
#1 ·
Hi
VW say change timing belt at 80k or 4yrs.
It the past belt interval was a lot longer.
Say a youtube video which showed a frayed and torn belt definitely needed to be changed and well over due.
So thought could you check belt at regular intervals?
Could not be easier, just pull off engine cover, remove intercooler intake pipe by lifting the 2 spring clips, unclip 2 clips on top timing belt cover and belt in full view.

Mine looks brand new (only done 25k and 2months to 4yrs old).

No frays or tears so feel best to leave it and check it often!

What do you think?

Michael (Essex,UK)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
This will depend if you know the vehicles service history if its been change previously?

You don't say what year your Golf is but as you say VW do recommend a belt change at 80k/48 months and a tensioner change at 160k/96 months. Now to me I would never leave it to exactly 80k before changing it I would change at 70k to be on the safe side.

I had an 1995 XR3i and Ford recommended a belt change at 36k I used to change at the 24k service, obviously belt design has changed since then?

Yes you can inspect them regularly but you would have to remove the belt to inspect it properly so is it worth it?

Michael I've just noticed you joined a year before me and you've only made 3 posts with this one?

#8 ·
The 2011 JSW we just bought has 78,000 miles on it. The manual says 130,000 on the timing belt before service. I figure it would be ok to go 100,000. Anyone else have any thoughts. Should I take a look at the belt and see how it looks?
Some have reported a few bearings starting to get growly or losing grease around 100,000 but which look like they can probably last another 20,000 miles. So if you can DIY, I would suggest do it whenever it's convenient after 100,000. 100,000 is a safe bet. whatever VW or the service manual says is also a safe bet.

#10 ·
I too have a 07 Golf Match TDI (1.9 105PS 5 speedbox) and the manual said 100k

When I got it 3+ years ago I checked around and although I got quite a bit of conflicting advice (I think VW were trying to make their minds up at the time) VW recommended 80k or 4 years

I consulted a VAG independent who has been running his shop for decades and his advice was to go with the 80k but to ignore the time suggestion, subject to inspection he reckoned that the time related was VW following the trend similar advice given by tyre makers that UV light, heat, ozone etc might degrade the compounds over time and possibly lead to failure before mileage, He reckoned he'd never seen a blt failure before mileage (including cars with tensioner or water pump failure which did surprise me a little)> I've decided to follow his advice so I'm counting down another 7k miles!

VW advice is also to inspect regularly for signs of ANY damage or of oil or other contamination and change if found and he agrees with that advice.

Although there are plenty of tails of people changing belts at hundreds of k miles and not failing and similarly damaged belts not failing it all comes down to risk and how lucky you feel There are many reports of "as new"looking belts failing.

Just bear in mind THAT WITH MOST MODERN ENGINES A BELT FAILURE WILL ALMOST ALWAYS RESULT IN VERY EXPENSIVE DAMAGE OR A NEW ENGINE

You pays your money.....

#11 ·
I too have a 07 Golf Match TDI (1.9 105PS 5 speedbox) and the manual said 100k

Although there are plenty of tails of people changing belts at hundreds of k miles and not failing and similarly damaged belts not failing it all comes down to risk and how lucky you feel There are many reports of "as new"looking belts failing.

Just bear in mind THAT WITH MOST MODERN ENGINES A BELT FAILURE WILL ALMOST ALWAYS RESULT IN VERY EXPENSIVE DAMAGE OR A NEW ENGINE

You pays your money.....

This. My understanding is that the TDI like many VW engines is an "Interference" engine which is to say the valve travel and piston travel occupy the same space at different times in the stroke pattern. So, blowing a timing belt = smashy smashy! my two cents

Actually came here to find a timing change interval but I think that answered my question :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.