VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well... after much studying and research (and a pretty substantial amount of cash) and a couple of weekends ... My 2004 Passat is Chainless, has a new timing belt (w/tensioner & roller), water pump, fan clutch, and (unfortunately) intercooler ... that I found had damage during the R&R process.

Thanks to all here and on TDIClub for all the information, support, advice, etc. (And again... to Aaron at BoraParts for providing the best prices and service on all the parts I needed).

HOORAY ! Glad to have my car back on the road !

JT

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you tell the difference?

What was wrong with the intercooler?
The post on the bottom back side of the intercooler (that mounts into the rubber grommet) had a crack ... and when I "wiggled" it ... it came off in my hand leaving a nickel-sized hole.

Before installation, I purposely poked my head under the front of the car and listened to the chain noise. It wasn't terrible .... but was noticable. After it, the noise was completely gone. Based on the condition of the chain and tensioner, I think I could have gone quite a long time without the replacement ... but I like the peace of mind of the better system design ... and you never know ... people have reported catastrophic failures with no prior hints of problems.

I'd do it again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I suggested welding it because I thought it was metal on the tdiclub site:eek:
I really toyed with the idea of some sort of industrial glue or epoxy ... but just didn't want to have to re-do it in a relatively short time. I would have taken your advice and had it welded if the "tank" was metal instead of plastic.

cheers.
JT

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Just for reference, never underestimate the usefulness of a good filled epoxy repair. Takes just a bit of effort to prepare, to design the repair and select the right compound, but it does work, and work well, in the most unexpected places.

I've yet to have one fail.

New parts work, too!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts