VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like the CD player on my radio crapped out. Everything else seems to work fine except the media function when I try to play a CD. It looks like it is reading the CD and I can switch between tracks, but I get no sound. When I switch to satellite radio or terrestrial radio the sound is fine. I've tried multiple CDs and I've used CDs in the past with no problem.

I tried resetting to factory settings and made sure there was no mute on but I still can't get the CD to play now. Any ideas before I bring it to the dealer???:confused:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Ctrl Alt Del?

Ask for a free carwash?

Is it an audio CD or an mp3 CD? If you put a really dusty CD in the slot it could block the head.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ctrl Alt Del?

Ask for a free carwash?

Is it an audio CD or an mp3 CD? If you put a really dusty CD in the slot it could block the head.
Nope, pretty much new audio CDs, tried various ones and can't hear any audio on any of them. The same CDs all worked last week. When I press the Satellite button the radio comes on loud and clear.:mad:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am also having trouble with my CD player lately. Mostly I've been using my iPod via the MDI, but I got bored and went back to some MP3 CD's I've had loaded in my car since day 1. But, about every other start of the car (mostly in the morning I think), the CD says "Data Loading..." for about 2 min and then just refuses to load and switches to my iPod, with the CD button greyed out. If I eject a CD and reload it, it'll work again.

Any ideas why the radio does this? So far I am not impressed at all with the radio and seriously considering buying a 3rd party one soon. Although I'm not quite ready to give up steering wheel controls yet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Same problem on my 2010 JSW. I quit putting in CDs hoping the probem resets.

I don't look forward to VWOA dealer ripping apart dash to repair. (Read: prymarks, future rattles)

·
Registered
135 Posts
it's because it's a CD. Doesn't CD stand for Crap Disc? I honestly believe CD's are the worst media storage device ever created. They are soo finicky and scratch way too easy. In a perfect world they may be really nice, but even as meticously I am about any property that I buy or goes thru my hands, these darn things still manage to deteriorate very quickly....CD's DVD.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I hope they aren't giving up on making reliable CD drives. I read that the last manufacturer of 3.5" floppys finally stopped making them last week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts