VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to start my car yesterday and the first thing I noticed is that it wouldn't unlock with the key fob, I unlocked it manually and sure enough the battery was dead!!

I proceeded to boost the car and noticed all of the indicators on the dash came on without the key in the ignition, the glow plug indicator and and the immobilizer indicator were flashing on / off non stop. I let the battery charge up a bit after a few minutes and then car started with no issues.

The power steering indicator was yellow, after i drove out of my driveway it turned off.

Now the funny part, after I drove to my destination I turned the car off but it wouldn't turn off!! All of the interior lights and stereo would turn off but the engine is still running. I turn the key to the ON position and can drive normally without any issues.

I came back home and was thinking of how to turn it off manually and realized it would be a bit hard. I took of the two fuses that are supposed to be for the fuel pump but they didn't work. I let it run for a few more minutes with the fuel pump fuses out to let the fuel canister run low but nothing. I then unplugged the fuel pump from rear seats and the car finally turned off!!

I unplugged the batter from the car for about 2 minutes and then connected it back, the two indicators started to flash again. I can unlock and lock the doors with the key fob so I don't think its a key issue.

I did a quick search on Google and couldn't come up with anything. I would really appreciate some help, its been a crappy start to 2011 with my car, I was going to take it in to get the timing belt replaced, DMF replaced and DSG service done in two weeks.

Some people have suggested to check the ignition switch which I will do when I get form later on tonight, but I am trying to find out what the flashing glow plug and flashing immobilizer mean? TIA

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
LOL.....sounds like fun. Just to be clear, when you say the car won't turn off you mean the engine won't shut off, not the car electricla system won't turn off right?

The ignition switch is a good idea. FYI, older cars had a fuel shut off solenoid but your car doesn't have this. On the PD engines you can shut off the car by disabling the fuel injectors which will shut off the fueling. On the side of the cylinder head there is a round plug with a red lock tab. Pull the red lock tab out a little and unscrew the plug.

The steering wheel thing is normal and you don't have to worry about it. Look through the mk5 FAQ on how to manually reset it, it turns on whenever battery is disconnected.

The lights could be many things, drive to autozone or your local parts store and they'll get the codes for you for free. Otherwise any suggestions are just wild guesses and chasing things. But the ignition switch sounds like a good place to start.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My buddy who's tech @ a BMW dealership was kind enough to spend a few hours diagnosing the problem and it turned out to be a fuse box that was soaked in water!! We also found a missing rubber seal that runs across the engine bay near the windshield.

He checked the ignition switch and it didn't seem to be malfunctioning, we unplugged the cable that goes from the switch to the module under the steering wheel and the lights would still come on without a signal from the switch. We then unplugged the module and did a hard reset with the battery and the lights still came on!! :(

After that we started to look at the main power distribution relays that are on top of the accelerator and brake pedals and the didn't affect anything.

After a few hours he started to poke around the fuse box under the hood and started to take out one fuse at a time to see which one would get rid of the lights and it was fuse F28. He checked the voltage across it and it was fluctuation between 1~4V. We removed the top part of the fuse box and found lots of water.

We then disassembled the top of the fuse box which is composed of 4 layers of plastic trays and metal traces/pads. Found lots of water and little bit of corrosion. After we blew all of the water out and dried everything we put some dielectric grease near the edge of the plastic trays to help seal it and put everything back together and bam problem gone!!

I will be getting a new fuse box and a replace the missing rubber seal near the windshield which probably contributed to this issue.

BTW all of the fuse diagrams I found online were wrong, its really frustrating not having the right info when troubleshoot!! I did find a really handy VW training document that outlines the electrical system of the car.

LOL there is a module that's supposed to turn off the power supply relay when the battery reaches below 11.7V.

Missing rubber seal

Corroded metal

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
jaw drops
Wow....I wonder what happened to the seal? The fuse box cover should keep water out but I guess not! Good catch, I'll take some pictures of my car as well for comparison. I don't know where in the FAQ to add this notice though since it's so unusual.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
I've not had it with my fuse box but my ecu looked a bit like that when I first got my car. A good clean and some silicone sealant sorted it though thankfully.:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jaw drops
Wow....I wonder what happened to the seal? The fuse box cover should keep water out but I guess not! Good catch, I'll take some pictures of my car as well for comparison. I don't know where in the FAQ to add this notice though since it's so unusual.
Removing the fuse box cover wont show you much. You'll have to remove the upper fuse box layer assembly;

1. Mark and make notes of the where the wires on the front are fastened to and take removed them. Most are 8mm one two are 10mm I believe. *Note 1*

2. In the middle of the fuse box there is a T30 or T25 screw that you'll have to undue it and then you can remove the upper fuse layer.

Blow it with air and see if you notice any water coming out. The majority of the water was found in the two socket connectors that stay inside the fuse box assembly. They are hardwired and not much room to play with but you only need to blow some air on them and see if there is any water. *Note 2*

*OPTIONAL STEP* 3. If you find water in the upper fuse panel layer (step 2) then you'll have to disassembled it like I did, which will require to unplug all of the fuses so take a picture of the fuse locations and the 3 relays first or make notes. Be very careful when undoing this assembly, I believe its around 3-4 layers of rubber, metal and plastic, the metal isn't secured by anything once its disassembled so be careful when you are prying the layers apart!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts