VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on this? My new Jetta TDI (DSG) with 2700 miles has stalled twice in the last week while waiting at stoplights. Both times it happened the car was barely warm -only about 2 miles into the trip. Otherwise, the car has been perfect - great fuel milage, great handling, smooth idle. I'll take it back to the dealer this week just to get the problem on record, but I really don't know what to expect.
One annoyance, when this happens, is that to restart the car I must shift into park and turn the ignition completely back to the "off" position before turning the key to "start", the car will not restart from the "run" position. By the time I complete this manuver I've missed the light and have traffic in back of me mighty ticked-off. I'll keep you updated.
Craig

·
Super Moderator
9,234 Posts
No I don't have a problem with stalling as you describe. The only problem I have is stalling when coming to a halt, this has been talked about on another forum Stalling my diesel. Is it just me?!?. You have to dip the clutch when it comes down to 1000rpm even though the idle is 850rpm else it will snatch and cut out, plus it isn't easy to bump again. ;)

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
I've heard of a bad flywheel on a brand new car. It's possible although unlikely that this is your problem. Good idea about getting it logged.

Yes, you must turn the key all the way off before you can start the engine. This is how all VW have been for a while.

·
Registered
1 Posts
RE: TDI stalls

I also have this problem. It used to happen about once every two weeks when I leaft work in the afternoon. Then I switched jobs and it is happening again. I realized that the type of driving is pretty similar between the two locations. This is what seems to cause the problem for me. I have to start the car and immediately begin driving. In both locations I can usually pull directly on to a 35mph road without traffic and drive at a steady pace in 4th gear. When I get to the first intersection, which is after about 1 mile of driving, I press the clutch and press the brake and the engine immediately stalls. It is so smooth I sometimes don't even realize that it has happened.

This never happens in the mornings when the car is even colder so I believe it is the type of driving while the car is warming up. In the morning I drive through my neighborhood which is stop and go at every intersection so the car gets a lot of acceleration and shifting.

I have never had the problem with a fully warm engine. Does anyone else have a similar story?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ditto! Except that I have a DSG. The engine is not fully warm, and likewise it is so smooth that I don't even realize it's killed until I try to drive off. Hope I don't get rear-ended before I get it diagnosed.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm not a mechanic, just from what I've read, it sounds like the engines have to be warmed up before driving.
Could always try it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts