VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, My friend has a 1996 vw, 2.1/2.0 engine. It's gas, no turbo.

The car stalls out in high altitude, has anyone ever experienced this? What would cause that?

I was thinking about buying it from him, sunroof, hatchback, it's white, nice little car, but......

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Check engine compression. Diesels run on compression so if the engine is already low, the thin air could result in hard starting. Normally it won't stall since the engine is already warm. Cold+thin air+ low compression = harder conditions than an already warm engine.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh dear, The computer has to adjust to changes? Maybe I shouldn't buy it, that's all I need, a computer car. I can't hardly work this one.

Basically, I have to trick the computer somehow? Once this happens, the cars computer has to be changed? or,
This is a norm then in these vw? hmmm,

If the computer gets changed, is it fixed then? I mean, maybe it's a faulty computer?
Or it's likely to happen again and again??

·
Registered
126 Posts
There is no escaping the computer age, it is a fact of life.

The end components (baro sensor, MAF sensor, position sensors...) are more prone to failure than the computer. Don't look for the NASA grade solution to a Home Depot sized problem.

Most of the engine sensors, like the baro sensor, are monitored on the OBDII port, under the dash by the steering wheel. Any OBDII compliant scan tool with 'live data' mode can view the values/data being reported by the engine sensors.

Find any brand name auto parts store and ask them to them to scan your car, most of them do it for free. They can then scan the live data and most of them will give you print out at the counter so that they can sell you the parts.

However, since this is a vehicle acquisition you are looking at, I agree with proceeding cautiously.

Sometimes you find the simplest of things will cause major power losses, like the owner never changed the air filter.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, I'll tll him that. He's been bewildered for awhile now. He thought it might have been a fluke thing.
thanks.
interesting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts