VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I've been thinking about getting a 2010/2011 Golf TDI in the very near future and have been researching it like crazy. Love the site by the way!
Anyway, I've seen a few reviews (video) showcasing the Golf auto-parking... which is damned cool. I've been on the VW Canada site, and read the FAQ's on this site, and searched the forums here for "parking assist" (I think it's called that).

Is this feature available on the Canadian 2010/2011 cars? How about just the backup camera they showcase too (the flip under the hatch release)? Is this on the 315 or 510 head units (Canada get's 315 only I think)?

Now, this isn't a deal breaker or anything (I didn't know that they could do this before researching anyway), and I can parallel park just fine as is... but I would hate to miss the option due to ignorance on my part - assuming it's cost effective etc.
Just the backup camera without the car steering for me would be fine too - such a cool feature.

Cheers!
Chris

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
No auto park. The backup camera isn't available either. Where did you see it? It's only on 510 head units and they don't come with the backup camera from the factory on Golf. They did come with the 510 on Touareg.

If you really want it, it's easy to swap the RNS510 in and not too hard to add the wiring for the backup camera.
welcometomyturbodies

·
Premium Member
9,654 Posts
Now the Park Assist and rear-view camera - Sensor controlled steering aid to assist parallel parking. Features optical parking display via vehicle’s audio system and rear-view camera - £80. Is available in the UK and its quites cheap but it needs the upgraded radios RCD 510 or RNS 510 DVD.

They also offer Park Assist including parking sensors front and rear - £550.

If its not an option over there you could fit your own if you can get the parts.

Installing a Golf Mark VI Rear View Camera (RVC) into a Golf Mark V It says Installing VI camera on to a V so I would think you could install it into a VI. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No auto park. The backup camera isn't available either. Where did you see it? It's only on 510 head units and they don't come with the backup camera from the factory on Golf. They did come with the 510 on Touareg.

If you really want it, it's easy to swap the RNS510 in and not too hard to add the wiring for the backup camera.
welcometomyturbodies
Ah, okay. Thanks for the replies.
I don't really want it, but thought it would be a cool potential option if it wasn't too expensive. Both videos I saw were on Youtube... reviews of the Golf MKVI. Europe only it seems... too bad.

I was just surprised when I saw the video and realized that it was steering the car. Backup sensors or cameras I have seen before, but not cars self-driving.

Cheers!
Chris

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't you have to give up manual tranny for this? No thanks.
Naturally those who wouldn't want an automatic transmission would also balk at the idea of the car driving itself! Different mindsets and requirements for different people.

Nonetheless, it's a cool advancement of technology.

I'm actually considering a manual transmission for the first time in my life, and it's due to the seeming fun people are having with the Golf (more videos) and of course the torque of the TDI.
Also, the DSG being a more complex tranny than standard "automatics" could potentially be a more difficult thing to fix or replace with problems (once warranty is out). I just had a transmission replaced in my current car, and it's an expensive and time consuming process - a dual clutch on a VW.... hm.

But, I commute 180 KM per day to and from work... highway is like 80%... but there ends up on occasion, some heavy stop and go traffic. I don't think enough to dissuade me from a manual, but it keeps cropping up in my decision process. I'll try driving both when the time comes I suppose!

Thanks again for the replies!

Cheers,
Chris

·
Premium Member
9,654 Posts
Don't you have to give up manual tranny for this? No thanks.
What makes you say that? The clip I posted has a manual trans and some of the other clips on there. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts