VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my '04 jetta (PD BEW) for a few days and its been perfect until now. It has started to take a few seconds to crank (3-5 seconds) and now when I drive it, it dies when I press the clutch in )to go into neutral) when I come to a stop at a stop sign or light. I just bought an additive for the fuel that cleans injectors and what not. I also ordered a fuel filter through work, should I drain/clean out the tank when I replace it? Thanks!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Is this related to the squealing sound? When was the FF last changed? you don't have to drain the fuel tank but additive is good. It's probably a clogged FF but it's also possible your timing is off and the clutch stall is related to something else, try removing the timing belt cover and visually inspecting the timing belt tensioner.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think that it's related to the squealing sound. I read that the tank should be drained and cleaned or it would clog the filter again, is it true? I plan on checking the timing belt this weekend as well as cleaning out the intake.

How does one do an EGR delete on an '04 PD BEW motor?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
You can't delete the EGR on PD motors without a chip. I'm not 100% sure but i believe the car won't run without it due to programming. Otherwise you could make a simple block off plate. You could make a half block off plate consisting of a replacement gasket with a small hole in it but it will occasionally set the check engine light.

Draining/cleaning the tank will help and is recommended but I think you could get by. It depends on how clogged and dirty it is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts