VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
If you literally spent 5 minutes looking through posts you'd see the mods have been all along. You are either too blind or too lazy to see that but keep acting the fool all you want. Crickets

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Hey man, the more posts here the better. Whatever gets eyes on this problem, whatever it takes for them to take seriously.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
lol

hey mods! Wanna step in? Interested in actually doing something? Or are you still fine being lazy losers??

role back the site
Or
Give us the CSV

another week of this shit...

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
To be fair, the mods are just regular users who can use the forum interface to manage posts and other users. They have no developer access, the underlying web site software isn't something they can get to. Implying that they're somehow responsible or can fix any of this is incorrect, and attacking them won't get anything done faster.

But the owner(s) of the site, he/she/they deserve all our ire.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
We are working on setting these pages up to be accessed. The data is not lost we have not been able to get it set up on the site yet.
-Philip
You are the third or 4th admin to chime in and say this now and it's been a month. You have paying members who's cars are apart and unusable because they had no reason to believe the resources here wouldn't be available. It's time to handle it. In the future before making such changes (assuming this site survives) I suggest a beta test with the mods and working these kind of issues out before going live. This entire experience has been like a bad joke.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Myturbodiesel used to be a vibrant forum, with people welcoming one another, solving problems with the mutual goal of keeping these cars on the road. One could ask a question and someone would share their experiences and point a poster to an existing wiki which explained a problem in more detail (oh, you are in limp mode, here is a wiki on limp mode; you're MAF code may not actually be a MAF problem, here is a wiki that explains how to test your MAF).

Myturbodiesel has become a "search the wiki" forum where the answer to nearly every question is "search the wiki". At that point, the site is no longer a forum but a specialized version of Wikipedia. The purpose of a forum is not only to "document" things, it is to discuss things, exchange ideas and learn from one another. Many people join forums as they have an interest in the topic and perceive forums as a place to engage fellow enthusiasts. I feel like we often treat posters as sycophants looking for a cheap and fast fix but fail to recognize them as budding enthusiasts searching for mentors to help them learn and grow. These are great cars, but they are quirky and unique, and they are somewhat high maintenance. There are few professional mechanics who know them well.

With the wiki gone, and the reliance on the "search the wiki" answer, visitors are getting "the wikis are not available" as an answer, which is not an answer, it is an excuse. It basically says to users "hey, we don't have any knowledge, we just have wikis".

I don't mean to sound critical. I have enjoyed the site and it has helped me solve problems with my car. I just wish we could go back to being something more.

Larry A

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Dave, this is what I’ve been saying the whole time! The mods do not care about getting it back - it may not be their fault, they may not be able to just fix it, but they are responsible for the state of the site right now. It really, really sucks they just keep saying it’ll be fixed but have no plan, don’t seem to all be on the same page.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Dave, this is what I’ve been saying the whole time! The mods do not care about getting it back - it may not be their fault, they may not be able to just fix it, but they are responsible for the state of the site right now. It really, really sucks they just keep saying it’ll be fixed but have no plan, don’t seem to all be on the same page.
Well, not really. The moderators are only responsible for keeping the current conversations civil and organized in this forum. The admin is responsible for the state of the site. Dish it all on him.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Everyone with any responsibility is responsible at this point. A month, for something so brain dead simple, is ridiculous.

Still calling the company - 4 business days without a response. Absolutely disgusting how everyone here treats paying customers. Mods, admin, the company, who cares. My love for this community is already sullied.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
How about this. Perhaps we can use technology to our advantage. The web crawlers have all the public data.

For example:
Below is a link to myturbodiesel.com as cached on May 24, 2019 (it is cached in increments so the main page was last cached on 2018-12-17). You can navigate to the wikis from there (obviously you can't get to paid content as the crawler can't get to paid content nor can you log in since the auth service is not present).
http://web.archive.org/web/20181217060803/https://www.myturbodiesel.com/

example:
http://web.archive.org/web/20140520112457/http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/2005-2006-brm-engine-timing-belt-replacement-vw-jetta-tdi-part-1/

So if you have a link that come back as on "oops" from our lovely new layout, try replacing the http://www.myturbodiesel.com (bold) above with the link you want.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
How about this. Perhaps we can use technology to our advantage. The web crawlers have all the public data.
This was already covered. There's no public record of data that was locked behind a paywall. Web crawlers and archivers couldn't see those pages because they weren't paying customers.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
This was already covered. There's no public record of data that was locked behind a paywall. Web crawlers and archivers couldn't see those pages because they weren't paying customers.
I clearly stated the limitation regarding the paid content.

While wayback was mentioned in passing early on, there were no details of how to find the pages. While it may not be helpful to you, there are many who are looking for content in the normal wikis which is in the caches and the details of how to find that data may be useful to them. It was not a suggestion intended to solve everyone's issues.

·
Super Moderator
8,991 Posts
I do care about this forum its the admin problem not a mod problem latota the stupid quote doesn't wok.

That shows TDI Wiki so why can't admin move that section?

I've made a pole. but no one has posted.

Do you like the new forum features?

·
Super Moderator
8,991 Posts
This has been talked about many times.

This is a new forum layout with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or or original similes. It doesn't show the car spec/location or signature properly either

We Are Live - Community Feedback

I've made a pole which no one has posted in.

Do you like the new forum features?

61 - 80 of 81 Posts