VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
I too literally paid to upgrade because of a first time camshaft replacement on my 2006 BRM as well as the timing belt. The car is still not completed because of this site going down due to the fact I found all the DIY information here and the next day no access and my search had to begin over. It's been way too long getting these link issues resolved. PPP in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Am I supposed to feel sympathy? We just got robbed of all the paid content... I'm actually kinda feeling betrayed right now. I paid that money in good faith, and would've gladly done so on an annual basis. Instead, it's been unceremoniously taken away, with no way to access the archived version until the owner deems it looks pretty enough. That's not cool. Some read-only copy of the old site until things are resolved would be very welcome.
Wow....chill out man..jebus. full millennial mode there.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Can we just directly download the wiki content? If we paid there’s no reason we should just have it, and considering there’s not even an ETA for availability we’re kinda left in a frustrating place.

We’re all sympathetic to issues but it doesn’t seem like much thought was given to the archival quality of the site. Even if the info goes back up somewhere, everyone links to the old site, tons of people through this forum and many others, many companies selling parts, etc. It seems like you’re saying that’s all GONE, which really sucks.

Many people here have been around a lot longer, been dealing with these cars for a longer, and this site has been the number one resource for that. You’re absolutely screwing paying customers, the site is nearly useless without those wiki pages, discussions are based around those wiki pages.

Realize that everyone who paid, paid for the wiki. You will not get new subscriptions without the wiki.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Moderators: I am waiting for this content right now. There are other people in this thread with disassembled cars, waiting for the content right now.

You need to respond, you need to do something. I plan on coming back to this thread every day or two until some solution is found - it's been more than two weeks now and it's getting ridiculous.

We paid. Give it to us. There is no excuse.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
I just noticed that the new forum is using XenForo.... how crazy is it these days to be PAYING for a forum software? There are so many great open source alternatives with MANY more features and plugins.... The fact that I have to click in the top right corner to see "full list", is a joke. Just show me the forum list and let me scroll up and down with my mouse, with my keyboard up/down. I hate it when the KISS principle is overlooked. I never bothered to check what software the old forum was using.

If the admin is MANUALLY updating the new forum and MANUALLY correcting links, this is going to take weeks... maybe months... And if it's AUTOMATIC, and the transfer code is not PERFECT, it will be a disaster. That's probably why nothing is being said. They can't promise anything because they are way over their heads. I mean, why else would they choose XenForo, which is meant for complete newbies and is not really known for powerful flexibility.
I can see that some paid content is available in the paid section, but it's not organized at all. Like a mess of spaghetti.

I would pay right now just to have the old site and content available right NOW, on https:/www.OLD.myturbodiesel.com

Just give me the Paypal address, tell me how much money to send, and send me the LINK. Done. Then the admin can take time and make the new site the way they want it, without the downtime.

All the Google Links for the past 8 years will be be EMPTY and redirected to the home page. That sucks too.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
This reminds me of how Toyota switched to a new parts database system, new warehouse, blah blah blah.... and took the old one down before the new one was working correctly. Ask me how I know that. I was waiting for a motorized liftgate for my wife's Toyota for 6 months, gave up, and ended up buying it from a junk dealer 1000km away. Needless to say, we will never buy another Toyota ever again after that experience. These are not the $40 manual liftgates, they are the motorized $800 liftgate - the price came in as a complete shock.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
I just noticed that the new forum is using XenForo.... how crazy is it these days to be PAYING for a forum software? There are so many great open source alternatives with MANY more features and plugins.... The fact that I have to click in the top right corner to see "full list", is a joke. Just show me the forum list and let me scroll up and down with my mouse, with my keyboard up/down. ...
Since I wrote the above, I've learned much more about the company Verticalscope.com that I believe owns this site. I would love to edit the previous post, but seems as though it's not possible. It's not as straightforward as I thought originally. The company is huge (majority owned by Torstar). Getting them to fix something is like calling up T-Mobile or Bell and asking them to change their website or add some feature to their cell phones. They own so many websites, it's crazy. And to keep costs down, I think they have outsourced the forum software which is why things take so long.

I could be wrong about everything. Who knows. At least now I understand just how big these forum aquisitions are. Forums with millions of users are the next big marketing tool and companies are lining up to own them all. That kind of opened my eyes to a bigger picture. I don't think it's in their interest to "lose", or not have available the very FAQ material that made myturbodiesel so great in the first place. That would be like shooting yourself in the foot. You would lose memberships - opposite of what you want in marketing.

So most likely it will get fixed, just not in time for me and my naked 1.9L engine sitting, waiting, wondering.... what's the next step?

$50 to the first person that can send me a zipped up copy of the 2006 Jetta TDI FAQ. I lost my paper copy years ago when it got soaked in trannie oil.
[email protected]

thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,923 Posts
When Chitty sent YMZ (Yuri) and me a conversation in 2017 saying he was selling this site because he wants to continue with his career in medical, he did mention a name. I've looked in my conversation but I can't find it now.

You can't delete conversations so where has it gone!!!

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Can you not just upload the old website to www.myturbodiesel.ca, charge $50 for a username and password, so at least those of us with projects on the go and cars in pieces can get some assistance? $50 x #people who need access now should more than cover the 30 minutes it takes a system admin to setup a new domain and upload the old site. All you would have to do is use an editor to search and replace every instance of .com with .ca and the entire site and links should work again under the new .ca domain. Quick and dirty fix and I am not even a web programmer. In my simple mind, that should work with minimal effort. That way you can continue to work on www.myturbodiesel.com at your leisure. Hell, you can call the website anything you want, like www.WeAreWorkingOnIt.com and search and replace the whole web name in the site's HTML code.

The amount of data in that FAQ is absolutely huge and if you are trying to sort through it all, page by page, link by link, this is going to take forever.

Those FAQS are very useful to help prevent mistakes as well as great for shortcuts and advice that are not in the factory service manual.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
I too am not happy. It didn’t even save my old user name as it says it cannot find it. I paid the money to be able to access and now poof. Gone.

·
Super Moderator
8,923 Posts
You say there are PDF files in TDI Wiki I've never seen any you can save.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts