VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I can't view any of the FAQ articles in the MK4/B5.5 section of the forum. I get a generic error message, even when I'm logged in. I depend on a lot of the specs that are listed in there when I work on PD TDIs and it's been very aggravating having those pages suddenly unavailable. I haven't tried the FAQs in other sections.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
I'm experiencing the same thing. Lots of dead links with the update. The site looks good, but now I can't find anything...

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's frustrating. The coat of paint is nice, but the content that I paid for is more important. There was some info in those FAQs that's not available anywhere else, not even the service manual.

·
Super Moderator
8,897 Posts
This is a new forum layout with loads of bugs which have been reported in the new thread. There is no TDI Wiki at the moment or or original similes. It doesn't show the car spec/location or signature either

Report your problems.

We Are Live - Community Feedback

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Am I supposed to feel sympathy? We just got robbed of all the paid content... I'm actually kinda feeling betrayed right now. I paid that money in good faith, and would've gladly done so on an annual basis. Instead, it's been unceremoniously taken away, with no way to access the archived version until the owner deems it looks pretty enough. That's not cool. Some read-only copy of the old site until things are resolved would be very welcome.

·
Administrator
47 Posts
I can't view any of the FAQ articles in the MK4/B5.5 section of the forum. I get a generic error message, even when I'm logged in. I depend on a lot of the specs that are listed in there when I work on PD TDIs and it's been very aggravating having those pages suddenly unavailable. I haven't tried the FAQs in other sections.
Can you give me the URL of the specific section/forum/thread you are referring to so that I can get this reported if it hasn't been already?

Are you referring to this thread?

- Cricket

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you give me the URL of the specific section/forum/thread you are referring to so that I can get this reported if it hasn't been already?

- Cricket
Yes, every one of the links on that page results in this:

·
Super Moderator
8,897 Posts
That's the Mk4 section, there are loads of other sub sections. It also had a Google search box to search box to search for problems.

None of the links work.

That is the biggest asset this forum has.

·
Administrator
47 Posts
I was able to reach out to the team for more information regarding this issue.

The FAQ/DIY articles were not actual forum threads, they were actually WIKI content. The information is NOT gone. All of the information has been saved and will be used to create a new WIKI. I do not yet have an ETA on when this will be completed, but there is a ticket to get this done for us.

- Cricket

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was able to reach out to the team for more information regarding this issue.

The FAQ/DIY articles were not actual forum threads, they were actually WIKI content. The information is NOT gone. All of the information has been saved and will be used to create a new WIKI. I do not yet have an ETA on when this will be completed, but there is a ticket to get this done for us.

- Cricket
I don't see why it can't be posted in its old format in the meantime. That's the content we PAID to gain access to.

Also, pretty sure much of that content was in fact in forum threads, specifically the paid part of it that wasn't accessible unless we logged in. The free part of the content (typically the first page) was in the Wiki.

Not having this important content ready before publishing the new version of the site was a huge mistake. I'm seriously unimpressed.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For anyone looking for the DIY articles from 2018 and prior the Wayback Machine might have what you're looking for.
Not helpful, unfortunately. Wayback doesn't have a paid membership, so it was never able to archive the paid content, only the freely accessible stuff.

·
Administrator
47 Posts
I don't see why it can't be posted in its old format in the meantime. That's the content we PAID to gain access to.

Also, pretty sure much of that content was in fact in forum threads, specifically the paid part of it that wasn't accessible unless we logged in. The free part of the content (typically the first page) was in the Wiki.

Not having this important content ready before publishing the new version of the site was a huge mistake. I'm seriously unimpressed.
It simply does not work on this platform. This issue has already been escalated to the team.

- Cricket

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
It simply does not work on this platform. This issue has already been escalated to the team.

- Cricket
As others have already said- the Wiki/FAQ/How to sections are the single biggest asset this site has. IMO it should have been the first thing brought online during the switch over.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The only reason I noticed right away is because I happened to be in the middle of a project that required that content and was referring to it daily. It literally vanished from one hour to the next. You're going to get inundated with complaints about this as other people check in over the next few days, and those people will be a lot less civil than me and the others in this thread. There was never any cause to worry about this content disappearing before so I didn't bother archiving it locally, but I guess now I'll have to revisit that choice once the content is available again.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
I know it is frustrating, but it will be returned.

- Cricket
I'll agree with those complaining. I was going to start a repair (balance shaft delete) but logged on to the site and all of the links in the FAQ section resulted in 404 errors. As this section was a great library of knowledge and one of the most important features of this site (at least for me) it would seem that the site admins would pay a bit more attention to this before rolling the new site out. It's just bad PR to have an entire section return 404's especially if you have paid for content. I would say some refunds are in order and maybe an explanation of what is happening and when the content will be restored.

Scott

1 - 20 of 37 Posts