VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello , I have problem with 1998 New Beetle TDI, when I hook up Scaner to check codes, I get
Link Error. I check all what I know but still no communication. Can somebody give me some tips
how to establish communication? Car has no power and resist to high RPM. Has 214 000 km.
Thank you very much :bowdown

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
What are you using? Is it vcds with a genuine cable, cheapy cable from ebay with free vcds or some other sort of scanner?:)

welcometomyturbodies

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am using code scaner, and I am able to read code from 2003 Jetta TDI, with no problems, but on Beetle 1998 TDI I get link error message. Can't find why, all look good. Any sugestion?

·
Premium Member
9,676 Posts
Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies
I am using code scaner,
We gather that but which make and model thats what we're asking?

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Scanner is:
Autel - OBDII+VAG Code Scanner OVS6
link -http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/342064083/OBDII_VAG_Code_Scanner_OVS6.html
And he reeds diferent cars but not Beetle. Still trying to find problem or
broken wires but no luck.
Thank you for help

·
Premium Member
9,676 Posts
Ok now we know but did you read the data on the link?

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/342064083/OBDII_VAG_Code_Scanner_OVS6.html

If a VW/AUDI has a 16-pin OBD-II style data Link Connector (DTC), the code reader will certainly work.

If it has an old-style Data link connector (DTC), then it depends on whether there are 4 or 3 wires connecting to the pins. If there are 4 wires, each connecting a pain, then it will work. If there are only 3 wires, leaving one pain disconnected, then it will work.
For VW/AUDI with old-style Data Link Connector (DTC), you need to have a cabling adapter which is not included in this product package.
It obviously isn't connecting properly.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will check that also but Jetta and Beetle shuld have same AHL motor and ECM or not? On the back of connector I have for sure 5 wires not only 3. Book also says that is ODBII in the Beetle, so I can see problem on that side. But I will check that.
Thank you for help.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
They probably have the same engine but a lot of the electronics and ecu get updated and are quite often different, you are talking about a 5 year difference between the beetle and jetta after all, is there nobody close by with vagcom/vcds that could scan the car for you?:)

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not at the moment, I will try find somebody to do that for me.
I will post later update if I find solution for this. Orginal problem what I have is
engine dont like hight RPM and no power. Ex-ovner will send me parts what dealer
recomenendet to need to be replaced, on turbo, so we will see in next
few days how this one will paly out.
Thank you very much for help.

·
Premium Member
5,942 Posts
I've got the autel vag405 scanner which seems to work really well with everything so far, have you tried to see if there's an update for yours? Mine came with a usb cable so that it can be updated from the companies website as and when there's any updates available.:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts