VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found plenty of information from helpful and generous guys about removing these injectors, but now that I have successfully done so and have replaced my old suspect injectors with "new-to-me" salvaged and hopefully OK injectors, I need a little information on installing the replacements.

First a little history.

1. I'm not really a motor-head; this has been a stretch for me.
  2. Two local mechanics were not keen on working on the project; I think other more lucrative projects were their preference.
  3. I've been running homemade Biodiesel 100 in the summer months for ~12 years and fear that my experimental fuel may be the cause of my problem.
  4. Borrowing a computer diagnostic tool I saw a problem linked to injector #3.
  5. I understood that #3 was some kind of central, diagnostic injector (maybe this is incorrect; they all looked identical to me), so I bought a set of 4 injectors harvested from a wrecked Jetta. No warranty.
  6. I have removed all of my desperately stuck old injectors, which was a serious excercise in problem-solving.
  7. I have replaced them with the replacement injectors and torqued all 12 bolts (~$100 for the lot) with the one-time use new bolts to the correct torque.
  8. But now I believe that must adjust the rocker arms on the replacement rocker arms, which I cannot determine how to accomplish.
  9. Of course, I don't have many specialized tools and if there is one for adjusting the rocker arms on the injectors, I don't have it and would like a workaround, if possible.
Thank you in advance for any advise.

Larry from Idaho.
2004 TDI Wagon
Homemade biodiesel for ~12 years

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
if you are going to carry on DIYing your car I would strongly recommend buying a Haynes manual (~20 bucks) and paying for an hour on erwin and downloading all the PDFs for your car (~9 bucks) - almost all info is there and you will be able to do things with much more confindence. A proper diagnostic tool like ross tech's is also almost necessary but that's rather more expensive.
impressive that you make your own bio-diesel. i drove with bought bio-diesel for many years without any problems at all - in fact it seemed less clogged up than other cars after 200k miles.
pete

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oddly, Haynes explicitly does not contain information on 2004 TDI engines and the drop-down window for years on Erwin stops at 2007. So, I'm back to #8 above and remain open to any bit of advice from a VW-ophile out regarding adjusting injectors on me beloved 2004 TDI.

Thanks,
Larry from Idaho

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts