VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thankyou for having a free site like this, first time purchaser of a vw. I was able to pick up a 2006 golf GLS TDI with a 142000 km [90000 miles] on it.Im happy with the car so far but I don t want to press my luck. The vehicle has not had any work done to the engine other than routine dealer maintenance as far as I know. My question is what maintenance in priority should I be concerned about to keep everything running smooth. Im fairly adept in maintaining my motorcycles, cars & trucks that I own now. Ive purchased a shop manual thats on its way & should be arriving shortly. If anyone can direct me on what D I Y repairs & maintenance that I can do myself and what to look out for it will be muchly appreciated.Thanks for reading my thread ; Thom

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
There's a buying guide for the mk4 TDI cars in the FAQ section with common problems. Some things may happen to your car like bad flywheel, some things are more common, like wearing lock tabs on the intake hose or worn camshaft lobes, some things are less common but common enough to mention, like bad alternator pulley clutches.

First is definitely the timing belt. 100,000 miles is the factory service interval so you can wait a little bit before changing it and get familiar with the car first. Water pump and coolant flush done at same time. Only use G12 or generic G12 coolant, don't use Prestone and make a gooey mess when it mixes! While you're in there, the serpentine belt should also be changed.

Thanks for joining, as you'll find when you get the service manual, the free writeups are loaded with good color pictures that you won't find in the service manual. Browse the FAQ section, lots of info in there,welcometomyturbodies

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Twisted sunroof drain

Yesterday I was doing some of the standard maintenance procedures recomended by your site and I came accross one that I never would have thought of unless you mentioned it ( Sun Roof Drains ). So for fun I poured water into the corners of the open sun roof and found the passanger side front drain wasn t working. After shoving weedwacker line into the drain line hole it wouldn t go any further no how. After measuring the length of the blockage it was in the area of the exit drain near the door hinges. After attempting to insert the line into the exit drain to no avail I decided to venture into unknown territory and open up the gromet drain exit near the door hinges. When I pulled it off naturally it disconnected from the down drain hose. After fishing around with my finger I was lucky enough to get ahold of it and get it back out through the sheet metal hole . After putting a zip tie around the hose to hold it was able to reconnect the ( twisted from the Brazil factory) gromet outlet.Just thought that someone else may also have a TWISTED OUTLET sun roof drain and could use this info. Palomino

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
So the drain line was twisted at the bottom? I don't understand how it was twisted - someone at the factory had installed the outlet 180 or 360o off?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts