VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2006 jetta quit on me the other day. I was just driving along and for about 30 seconds it seemed like it wanted to run rough then it just died and won't start back. I looked at the timing belt and it seems ok. I took the glow plugs out to check the compression but I need an adapter to made it work but I just wondered if I sprayed wd40 down in the glow plug holes and put them back in if that would tell me anything?

·
Registered
208 Posts
TDI diesels run at around 19:1 compression. That's 2x that of a gas engine, or ~400 PSI of pressure per cylinder (make sure your compression tester can go that high).

For that reason, I wouldn't even think of squirting anything in there.

·
Premium Member
9,741 Posts
No WD40 is a lubricate/water replant not ether as in Easy Start.

A little tip if you use ether on a diesel it becomes addicted to it and it won't start without it.

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
Actually, WD-40 is safer to use as a "starting" fluid than Ether in a Diesel engine... Ether will ignite too early, possibly leading to bent rods... a definite "Never"... WD-40 has been known to work, but is still a bad idea... far better to diagnose and fix the actual problem...

Yuri

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right now I just want to figure out if it's a fuel issue a compression issue or a timing issue. The timing belt only has about 20,000 miles on it. I pulled the top cover off and looked at the belt it seems tight with no fraying. I ordered the tool kit for changing the timing belt from Metalnerd. When it arrives I'll take the other covers off and check the timing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Auto part Engine Machine Vehicle Cameras & optics
Well I got it to start but then it sprayed a pint of diesel out of this hose before I could shut it down. So can anyone tell me what that means?

·
Premium Member
23,902 Posts
Have you checked the camshaft? See the camshaft replacement DIY in the FAQ and listen to the videos. It's possible this creeped up on you. The air comes out where it shouldn't, it's possible the cam is gone and the engine was spitting fuel out the intake.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hope not . I just put a cam and lifters from Kerma in it 20,000 miles ago. Same time I changed timing belt, tensioner and water pump.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I was thinking maybe an injector stuck open? Flooding one cylinder and starving the other 3. I picked up a compression tester today and will check that tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
I would clean up that diesel on all rubber parts.

If your getting diesel out the intake, then there is a timing issue (belt?). Or the timing for the IP.

Or one of the valves is chipped,cracked,stuck or not sealing. Compression test can verify.

·
Super Moderator
2,243 Posts
I could be wrong (I avoid PD engines as a rule), but... don't PD engines have weird fuel channels running through the cylinder head?

Yuri

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Well got compression checks on #2 and #3 before it started raining on me. They were both a little over 500 psi so it isn't them. Just got checks on #1 and #4 they are over 500 psi. Now I'm not diesel mechanic for sure but seems like I have a fuel issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I could be wrong (I avoid PD engines as a rule), but... don't PD engines have weird fuel channels running through the cylinder head?

Yuri
Oh yeah which is why I'm going to start at the fuel tank and work my way to the injectors for last.

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
Oh yeah which is why I'm going to start at the fuel tank and work my way to the injectors for last.
It might be the lift pump in the tank or a clogged fuel filter if it's a fuel problem.

First check/change the FF and purge the air out by cycling the key to run several times if you do change the FF.

When you turn key to run, you should hear the in tank fuel lift pump run for about 3 seconds. Lift up the back seat lower cushion so you can hear it better.

If you hear the pump, move up to the fuel filter and take the supply line from the tank off and put it in a pop bottle and then cycle the key to run for a few 3 or so second shots. You should get some fuel in the pop bottle. I don't remember which of the 4 lines on the FF is the supply from the tank.

Could you expand some on the fuel spraying issue? Do you mean fuel sprayed out of the charge air pipe that is unhooked or out of the aluminum housing it connects to?? Neither place should have fuel, just boost air and some oil mist. It doesn't seem possible that there could even be fuel there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's possible it could be from where I pored fuel in the glow plug holes before I tried to start the engine. Maybe I added more than I thought? That was the only way I could get it to crank. When it cranked, fuel came out of the hose and shot all the way across the motor and 2 feet over the fender on the driver's side. When I get back to it I'm going to reattach the hose and try to crank it again first. But I just had some surgery so I'll be a few days yet. I'm just afraid it's going to be an injector issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
On what planet is it ok to pour liquids into a Diesel engine cylinder? Don't spray anything into the intake either, there are hot glow plugs in there and they will ignite that stuff too early.

THIMK!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok , I've checked the timing, it's spot on. All 4 cylinders have over 500 psi compression. I took the glow plugs out and turned the motor over and fuel went everywhere. But after I put them back in and turned the motor over a couple of times it locked up. I took the plugs out a 2nd time and sprayed fuel all over because the engine would turn over then. Put the plugs back in and the motor locks up again. I think it's locking up from to much fuel in the cylinders. and yes I checked to make sure I had good fuel. I pulled the fuel filter and the fuel looks and smells fine. even dipped a rag in it to see if it would burn when lit with a match. I'm going to take off the valve cover and look at the injectors. If they look ok I'm going to unplug them all and turn the motor over till all the fuel is cleared out of the system.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts