VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I learned to drive on a '64 beetle that every so often had battery or starter problems. The workaround was quite simple though: I'd park it on a hill. When ready to go again, I'd wait for traffic to clear, put it in 2nd, turn the key on, disengage the clutch, let it start rolling, and then let out the clutch when it got enough speed. It would usually start right up and I'd be on my way.

So, having just had to replace the battery on my 2006 Jetta TDI 5-speed, I'm now wondering if it's possible to do the same thing with this car should the need arise. Has anyone else tried it and does it work? If it's possible to do, is there any reason why it's not a good idea?

·
Super Moderator
9,395 Posts
Yes it should be possible to kick start or as we say over here bump start a vehicle. Kick starts are for older motorcycles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes it is possible, I had problems with My 2002 for about half a year, It would fail to turn over occasionally. I always parked it on a hill (or asked my wife to push it) when I stopped. It started very easily.

I finally found out that the wire going to the starter broke off. Cost me a $.15 spade connector to fix it.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I'll try it next time

Thanks for the entertaining replies. I suspected there might be a problem with the electronics on the 2006 -- which won't even let me turn the key to start if it's stalled, instead it requires turning it off first -- but it sounds like it should work so I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I suspected there might be a problem with the electronics on the 2006 -- which won't even let me turn the key to start if it's stalled, instead it requires turning it off first --
All VWs do this.

~ Roman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts