VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our '99 Passat wagon just lost it's timing belt and toasted the engine. <sarcasm> Luckily VW USA is offering us a nice $0 trade in or a free oil change, whichever is less. They've been great. <end sarcasm>
We asked the dealer what they would give us trade-in for the vehicle and he said, "I shudder to think what we'd offer you trade in for it. You'd have to ask the sales department."

So I'm in deep. I don't have $4500 to fix it. I was thinking it might be a good time to find a TDI motor and put that in. What would it take to do that? Anyone have any links on a conversion or tips, advice etc?

Really, any help would be greatly appreciated. VW usa =:mad:

·
Super Moderator
23,902 Posts
how do you know the engine is toast? If you were at idle, you might just need new lifters, valves, valve seals, etc. First figure out the extent of the damage. The engine probably isn't a total loss.

Remove the head and see if the pistons are good. If so, put a new or rebuilt head on, new timing belt, and you are good to go.
Forget about swapping the engine, fuel system, and wiring harness in. If you have to ask, it's over your head.

J

·
0 Posts
I will 2nd, the dealership is trying to put the most expensive repair on you possible. First get the head off, then figure out what to do from there. You probably just need a rebuilt head.

D

·
0 Posts
This is pretty much the correct advice for any car.

Have the head taken off, inspect for damage.
If it's okay, figure out what you can use from the head and repair it.

For our cars, the pistons are almost touching the valves, but it should be repairable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts